/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Cinema Robot and iPhone 7 plus

Discussion in 'Movi Showcase' started by Tony Mosby, Aug 4, 2018.

?

Is the hoodie worth it for Audio with the Cinema Robot?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2018.
  1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Tony Mosby

Tony Mosby New Member

Shot this on my Movi Cinema Robot and edited it in Final Cut X with a Logic Pro X soundtrack. Pretty fun.
    I can't wait to learn more about shooting with this device!

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I’d rephrase the question. Will it hurt your video’s sound if you record image and sound for a given shot by placing the microphone in the same physical position as the Movi?

Also, note that the question of whether to record sound directly to a smartphone, record to a smartphone via a separate analogue to digital converter (e.g. the DPA d:vice), or record to a separate audio recorder, is a different question.

In other words, I think that your question is just about microphone placement, not about how the sound from the microphone is recorded.

When it comes to microphone placement, the general rule is that you want the mike close to the source of the sound. Obviously, there are exceptions for some ambient sound, an obvious example being recording thunder. Thunder comes to mind because that is what I was recording last night :)

I own a Hoodie and have decided that it is more trouble than it is worth for how I record sound. However, I know of one person on this forum who is using the Movi in place of a tripod and is very happy mounting a microphone on the Hoodie to do interviews. That’s a different use case from mine.

For me, the Hoodie is mostly interesting in conjunction with using the Movi with the Sony RX0. It can be used as a mount for a smartphone, showing the Sony Play Memories app, to increase the size of the RX0 image. The same could be done with a GoPro and the GoPro app.

#2 Rorick Edge, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  3. Tony Mosby

Tony Mosby New Member

I appreciate you providing input on that question. I have looked into recording on a smartphone and the biggest thing is the viability of converting analog to digital. I have heard conflicting reports on how well this is accomplished with most consumer devices. I own a H4N and I could probably use it for a seperate audio source. I was hoping to use the Movi to record ambient sound. I don't think I would depend entirely on the analog to digital setup in a lot of cases. I will look into the Go Pro scenario you described but I still want to see what others use for Movi and sound both for placement and for different shooting scenarios. Thank you Rorick.

4. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Tony,

There are a number of recent threads about the Movi and audio recording. Between them, they exhaust the subject. That isn’t hyperbole. The subject has been discussed ad nauseum. You might find it helpful to check out the earlier discussions about this subject.

You will find the discussions in the Movi Technical subforum, not in the Showcase subforum.

#4 Rorick Edge, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. Tony Mosby

Tony Mosby New Member

Thank you again Rorick; I will take a look at some of those threads.