/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi/Canon 70D face tracking & Majestic Mode interface?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Martin McGuinness, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Martin McGuinness

Martin McGuinness New Member

The 70D has sophisticated face and object tracking capabilities to drive autofocus.
    Point of interest is selected "on the fly" on the touchscreen LCD, and then tracking locks on 'till another POI is selected.
    A hack that looped this selected object position data to the gimbal processor and so locks the camera framing onto a face etc would be very useful.

Its inevitable that something like this will be implemented soon enough.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The real question is whether the 70D makes this data externally available? The secondary question would be whether the Magic Lantern crew would care enough to access this data and emit it in a form that it could be used to control external electronics.

Andy.

3. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

I am doing a review of a the 70D for Canon. my Movi hasn't come yet, but I am actually surprised at the success of the focusing and I am interested to see how the combination may work.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Martin McGuinness

Martin McGuinness New Member

Also useful in dual mode. Imagine the possibilities, auto tracking a car from a cinestar.
    The focus system on the 70D and new Canon auto focus lenses seems optimized for video rather than stills and the rack is remarkably cinematic: quiet, jitter free, and lands smoothly and precisely. Likely the next generation Canon C500 and high end DSLRs etc will implement the same Dual Pixel tech across the CMOS. Being cinema cameras built for camera crews, remote focus selection technology will be a no brainer.
    On the 70D this data is already processed and going to and from onboard the folding touchscreen.
    The 70d has Wifi, but that has latency.