/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Batteries dying on me

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Iva Vel, May 7, 2014.

1. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Hi everyone!

I'd like to know if this is normal:
    Someone forgot to switch off the MoVI M10 after using it. The MoVI was left on during the weekend and when I got back in the office, I saw the switch on and the MoVI off. Tried to charge the battery but it didn't get recognised. I used my Lipo checker and it shows all cells dead at 0%

I thought the MoVI would shut down when the battery is ALMOST empty to make sure it doesn't kill it and we're able to charge it back up?

We then did a test on the MoVI M5 (on purpose this time), and same thing happened! Left it on overnight, came back in the morning and the battery was dead!

Isn't there supposed to be a safety in the system for this not to happen?

Thanks!

2. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

I think the MoVI shuts down to protect the MoVI electronics, not the batteries. The manual, and many threads and info are here about monitoring the batteries as you are using the MoVI and not allowing them to get below 3.0v per cell. Please see 01-P1 on the M10 manual:
    http://www.freeflysystems.com/pdf/FFS_moviManual-v1.pdf

From what I understand, don't try to charge a completely dead LiPO or even a LiPO with cells under 3.0v. It could start a fire.
    All the best,
    Lael

3. Markus Mueller

You should be very aware of the lipos. This is not a device to leave the batteries pluged in overnight. And I would not recommend this for cameras or other sensitive electronic stuff. Everyone who gets the m10 from me, has to run through a very picky batterie lesson. Lipos can be dangerous and should be handled with care. I also don't know about a lipo protecting function on the Movi, but a safety system to protect the electronics. My batteries are constantly watched with a lipo-checker and I take them of at around 3.7 volts per cell.

Best Markus

4. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Hi Lael, Hi Markus!

Thank you for your help!

I was aware of the precautions needed when using the Lipo batteries, and when we tried "charging" it, it was about connecting it to the charger and checking if the light would stop flashing green. We didn't leave them there for more then a few seconds.

Well that's the thing, I was actually under the impression that the MoVI shuts down when the batteries are at a safe low level (above 3.0v). Protecting the MoVI electronics yes. But if the MoVI is switched off, how come the battery still carried on supplying power thus allowing it to get below 3.0v per cell? Or did the MoVI shut down after the batteries went below 3.0v?

I have only recently got a lipo checker and am also like a maniac with it.

I guess I don't know enough about the lipo batteries. Will have to educate my self on them a lot more! But I hope you can help me understand this issue first.

Thanks guys!
    Ivailo.

5. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

Also look at http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/battery-handling.3999/ . I learned the hard way how to properly handle these batteries and just how dangerous they can be. If you are careful with the handling they can be fine. I wish FreeFly had included a battery volutage device as well as a discharge device. I picked up both on Amazon for cheap and they work.

It is definitely important to take care of these batteries. I am used to Lithium Ion and Enloop batteries which don't require the same sort of care that these do.

6. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Thanks Nicolas! That was an excellent thread!

But still looking for an answer to:

7. Markus Mueller

Maybe you send an email at freefly support, cause they don't constantly watch the forum. Would be very nice if you could post the answer, so we can make this thread complete.

Thanks Markus

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've contacted the folks at Freefly....I'll let you know what they say.
    My experience is that you can, indeed, over-discharge a LiPo if you leave the MōVI powered up -- and by over-discharge, I mean below 3.3 volts/cell.

Andy

9. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Hi Andy!

Thanks for your help. Any news?

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing heard, Ivailo.
    The only safe thing to assume, until we hear to the contrary, is that if you leave the MōVI powered on, it will over-discharge the battery.

Andy.