/dist/images/branding/favicon

MOVI batteries and cold weather do not mix

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by jeff molyneaux, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Any news on this?

Thanks, Wolf

2. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

I posted a thread in I think January about this. I was on a job where my Movi wouldn't boot up in the cold weather. We aimed a Par Lamp on it while it was not in use and that helped. Producers finally got in another Movi rig and the same thing was happening. Basically the best solution is to keep hand warmers with your kit (or have production get them) and keep them on the batteries on the rig as well as the ones on stand by. Keep the batteries close to your body under your coat as well. But as far as on the rig taping hand warmers on the batteries is a good solution.

3. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

What about bypassing the Movi Battery (if necessary) and running off something more substantial?

I am going to start looking into this… winter is coming, and we do a lot of very cold mountain top work.

4. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

I personally only feel comfortable powering to Movi from the Movi batteries. However it is a 12Volt system. I would ask Movi directly about powering from another power source. I do power most AKS from other types of batteries.
    I would look closely at wrapping the Movi battery with hand warmers and figure out a good insulation design around the Carbon Fiber battery holder thing. I read in an earlier thread about aluminum foil. I bet a thin wrap of some bubble wrap or thin foam insulation like the pink stuff they use on house foundations around the battery and hand warmer would work well. As far as the AKS (monitor, Follow Focus, Wireless Vid) you could look at batteries that are better in the cold and simply beefier like the Aaton Bauer HC up on the handle bars. By the way what camera are you flying?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Charlie: The MōVI uses a 4S LiPo battery, so the voltage range will be from 16.8 volts fully charged, and typically you'd want to change it out when it's around mid-charge level, which would be around 15.4v or whenever the MōVI "telegraphs" that the battery voltage is getting too low.

Andy.

6. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I am running the Epic, Axis 1, Bolt, Small HD Monitor all from a V mount via a custom designed power distribution system with all professional connectors.

Currently using the LiPo for the Movi. Which is the best option I agree.

But, I will look to add an emergency power cable from the V Mount to the Movi for times that this potential failure could happen.

(Just another back up really).

7. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member