/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVi and 5D/7D

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Daniel Holmes, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Daniel Holmes

Daniel Holmes New Member

What does everyone recommend for shooting with the 5D or 7D in terms of follow focus, on board monitors, converters, what do I need and what is recommended?

2. Ben Huddleston

A popular cheap professional solution seems to be:
    -RedRock Micro microRemote wireless follow focus system
    -smallHD dp4 onboard monitor
    -Paralinx Arrow video transmitter
    -smallHD AC7 monitor (for focus and/or 2nd op)

There are many options for most of these things though, but these are pretty tried-and-true.

3. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi again Ben.
    again you're right on the money. Thats the same set up I'm going for with a 5D-3.

I emailed FF support recently to see if they'll advise on the necessary cables I'd need, as I know they've custom made quite a few to suit different setups, but as yet no reply. I figure if I order from them and they come with my M10 when shipped, I'll know I've got the ones that are compatible and will work, rather than take the chance myself and buy the wrong ones.....usually happens. They're probably really busy, so I'll wait.

I also asked them if its achievable/advissable to power the onboard monitor [dp6] and Paralinx off the same Lipo, or is it better to run each component off its own power source??? What do you reckon??

Cheers
    Garry

4. Ben Huddleston

I'd power them both off the same lipo for sure. You want to look at power draw from each ensure they don't over draw the battery, but I'm sure those components are well within the batteries' safe limits.

5. Greg Hughs

Greg Hughs New Member

Garry, the package that Ben described is exactly what I have in my MoVI. As for cables, I grabbed a lipo to Lemo power adapter from freefly to power the RRFF. and that seems to last a long time. I actually haven't gone through a full battery on the follow-focus, yet. You are going to have to figure out how to mount your FF motor. In my case I bought the hotshoe rail adapter from Redrock, only to discover that my hotshoe mount is too loose to use for the motor. I still use the top rail to hold the controller/transmitter for the FF motor. I did see a front rail adapter that Freefly is going to be offer that fits on the front of the mounting plate of the MoVI, but it's not available yet. I will be picking up one of those as soon as they are available, however.

6. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Greg.
    Sorry for my very late response to your post and very useful info. Thanks for the tip on the Lipos to lemo, I'll get it.
    Sounds like the mounting plate will be a winner when it's available. How long that'll be is anyone's guess.

As I mentioned I emailed the guys at support at FF for advise on the necessary cables I should order with my Movi and then have everything shipped together. I got a reply today which basically said I should check the forum threads for advice from guys like yourself and see the list of accessories they attached. Good support!! Not. So it's a big thanks to yourself and other users for your advise.

Cheers
    Garry