/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting RADIAN onto a difeerent GImble (AV200)

Discussion in 'Radian' started by flyingEyeUK, Nov 8, 2012.

1. flyingEyeUK

flyingEyeUK New Member

Hello all, i have just recieved my Radian and intalling it onto my mount. i have a couple of questions.
    1. i understand you have to replace external pots with the resistor provided but what happens if you have a servo that does not have a external pot (Pan Servo on the av200 mount) i completley understand this was built for the cinestar mounts but this is what i have only for the time being :).
    2, if i added this resistor to my pan servo would it make it 360 ?
    3.any advice when installing this?
    Many thanks
    Dan Baker

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Dan:

1. The resistor is a dummy potentiometer that makes the "servo" think that it's always centered -- the resistor in question is actually two 2.5Komh resistors in series with a center tap, making it appear as a potentiometer permanently stuck in its center of rotation.

2. If you add this resistor to the pan servo, it still may not allow it to rotate the full 360 -- some servos have mechanical stops that prevent that. Do a Google search for:
    converting servo continuous rotation​
    and you will find several relevant hits.

3. Be prepared to unplug the power supply very quickly if you hear the servo hit a mechanical limit otherwise you'll be buying a new servo if it "bottoms out" for long.....

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

3. flyingEyeUK

flyingEyeUK New Member

Hi Andy, thanks just to be sure i need to add this resistor to my pan servo ? many thanks

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I would add the resistor and try it -- but I'm speculating, so proceed at your own risks.
    This advice comes with my world famous "30 seconds or 30 yards warranty -- whichever occurs first." :)

Andy.

5. flyingEyeUK

flyingEyeUK New Member

Ok Andy thanks alot

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Congratulations! My warranty just expired! ;)
    Andy.

7. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Hi Dan,

Go for it, I've installed one Radian in the Tilt of my AV200 as a test, worked like a charm, just, as Andy pointed, disconnect the pot from the servo and install the resistor instead. I've installed only for tilt but the procedure for Roll and Pan is the same.
    The only thing to consider as a probable upgrade are the servos. I didn't changed mines on the AV200 but I had 2 Savox on my CS gimbal and after I've changed them to FreeFly servos the responsiveness of the Radian increased a lot.
    There is some further info on this thread.
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-on-av200-pan-axis-only.126/#post-1261

Ps. take a look on the part about the FlightController power to the Radian and Servos.

Good luck