/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting Options for Focus Motor

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Chance Norris, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Chance Norris

Chance Norris New Member

Hello,

I'm looking for a mounting solution for a Redrock lens focus motor. I bought the Freefly rod clamp that fits on the Movi M-5 base-plate.

I'm using two cameras on the Movi M-5 a Nikon D800 and Panasonic GH4.

This clamp works okay with the Nikon D800 using the 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm primes. The rod clamp will not work with the Nikon 14-24mm or 24-70mm zoom lens because it prevents the Movi plate from sliding back to balance D800.

The Movi rod clamp will not work at all for the GH4 when attaching the GH4 to the Movi M-5 base plate. I'm using a Zaccuto Z-spacer to give the lens clearance from the plate. The GH4 requires to be pushed all the way back because of its light weight. This prevents using the Freefly rod clamp with the GH4 in my configurations.

Maybe a spacer between the mounting plate and Freefly rod clamp to extend out for Nikon zoom lens setup?

What are you guys using on similar setups? How about attaching lens motor to the top (2) rails on the camera cage?

Thanks,

2. Chance Norris

Chance Norris New Member

Do I need to rephrase my question to get a response? How about FreeFly Support?

3. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Chance there are quite a few forums about this subject have you read those?

4. John O'Regan

John O'Regan New Member

Like you Chance Norris i have the same issue, The Movi rod clamp will not work at all for the GH4 when attaching the GH4 to the Movi M-5 base plate, due to the cameras lightweight i can't push the camera far enough back, any solutions guys or feedback from Freefly.

5. Matthew Macomber

Matthew Macomber New Member

Same issue here. Though one solution is to simply add some weight toward the back of the camera, thus achieving balance with the plate further forward. Maybe mounting the micro basestation at the back would be enough?

6. John O'Regan

John O'Regan New Member

Thanks Matthew Macomber, i had that idea as well, but i just need a more reliable option if possible, counterbalancing in that way, could add new problems, but thanks for your help.