/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting batteries inverted

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Stefan Helborg, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Stefan Helborg

Hi

I am really happy with my Tattu batteries. Perhaps ALTA intended for a different kind of battery, but when I want to mount the setup inverted, I can't mount my batteries in the tray without using duct tape ...!

At the angle where it is supposed, the batteries are too short, and very hard to get into. On the other angle, the batteries sits tight between the foam rubber, but again the rubberstraps makes no sense.

They can not really reach at any time.

What do I or what batteries do you use?

Attached Files:

Andreas Riem likes this.
  2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

There was a Freefly service bulletin that included an alternate way (and hardware) to mount the straps differently so the Tattu 10000s would fit. Mine do now. They're still a very tight fit, but they definitely fit properly.

Send an email to support with your serial number and see if you can get the information.

3. Stefan Helborg

Thanks Steve

I will try that :)

4. MathewHarwood

MathewHarwood New Member

Hi Steve, I'm sure I'm going blind but I can't seem to find that service bulletins anywhere. Would you have a copy at all? Otherwise I'll email Freefly Support. Thanks mate!

5. Robbert van Weelderen

What I did was unscrew the strap holders and screw them back on the other side. Because of the height of the batteries I have to unscrew one of the side holders, put the batteries in and replace the holder but I can strap them in securely.

6. MathewHarwood

MathewHarwood New Member

Thanks Robert, I have done the same but the straps only hold onto the edges of the lipos. It looks OK to fly a couple of times but after a while it will start to put to much pressure on the internal wiring at the top of the lipos. I have been using a stretchy Velcro strap but was hoping there was a Freefly solution (Longer strap pins perhaps)

7. Robbert van Weelderen

I've placed the battery's in such a way that one strap is on their pretty good and the other one I'm letting fly pretty loose. The battery's are so big in relation to the cage, they cannot go anywhere anyway.

8. MathewHarwood

MathewHarwood New Member

The response from Freefly to solve the issue is:

We do have a simple recommendation that helps extend the battery studs for better strap contact.

You should be able to find the parts below at a local hardware store or fastenal.

You need 3mmx6mm (Long) spacers: Qty 4

and 3x20mm (Long) machine screws: Qty 4

I have attached pictures as an example.

Instructions:

You simply remove the existing battery studs that the straps attach to. You then reuse those studs along with the above hardware. You move them to the inside of the cage as pictured.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a long lasting and simple solution. IMG_4698.JPG IMG_4700.JPG

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And a suggestion that you get non ferrous stainless bolts and aluminum spacers. You don't want to introduce any iron which might affect the compass.

MathewHarwood likes this.
  10. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

I would be nice to have a 2nd battery bottom tray so to have a fresh set ready in the tray for a faster swap does any one know if Freefly sells a second battery tray?

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good question, Jose. I suspect an email to support@freeflysystems.com is the best way to get an answer...please post again when you do get an answer!

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

12. Mike Gentilini Jr.

Here's a quick tutorial we did for the Tattu batteries.

Humberto Barchini likes this.