/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting Accesories on the M5?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jonathan Weiner, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Jonathan Weiner

Jonathan Weiner New Member

I'd be curious to see how people are mounting certain accessories on the M5, right now, I have a SmallHD DP4, Paralinx Transmitter, and 3 of the FreeFly Accessory mounts, but I'm wondering what the best way to mount the extra MoVi Accessory battery to the Top Bar, trying to keep everything high as to not throw the balance off, I'm thinking a light weight cheese plate would be good for a RedRockMicro Base Station and a FreeFly MoVi battery? Screw down 1/4 inch and/or Dual Lock?? If anyone is doing something cool, please let me know and post pics...

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I'm running an M10, but the concept is the same. I use the accessory mount from Freefly (http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/movi-accessory/products/accessory-mount) to mount the Redrock Basestation to the crossbar with a 1/4-20 screw from the hardware store. If you pick up a couple of washers you can mount it a lot cleaner without scratching the bottom of the Basestation.

This means that you will need to mount the battery up there as well, which we do with a simple velcro strap, vertical on the back of the top handle bracket.

photo.JPG
    photo copy.JPG

4. Jonathan Weiner

Thanks Austin! I was on the right track, I was trying find a flat surface for the Movi battery.

5. adam chesbrough

adam chesbrough New Member

I am running the thumb wheel and it won't fit on the top cross bar. How are people dealing with this? I am assuming that redrock sells alternate rod adaptors.

6. Jonathan Weiner

7. adam chesbrough

adam chesbrough New Member

8. Andre Botelho

Andre Botelho New Member

How to power the Redrock micro follow focus on movi M5. I'm setting it up on a Tero, but I don't know how to power it up..

9. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Andre Botelho likes this.
  10. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

Hey Jonathan,
    How Are you powering your transmitter on the Movi? Do you use a HDMI splitter when connecting a transmitter and monitor to a DSLR rig? Thanks

11. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Kyle,

We use the Teradek Bolt 300 transmitter. We power it by splitting the Lipo from the Movi, the Movi Lipo takes the least juice so we chose that source. Just did a split of the lipo and sent one lead to the Teradek Hope this helps. Drop me a message if I didn't understand your question correctly.

Cheers,
    J

12. Kyle Corea

Kyle Corea New Member

J, Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated, I am curious how you split the lipo, did you have to buy an extra connector piece?

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If you have a crimper and a soldering iron, you can make the cable you need in about 2 minutes. But beware that the MōVI batteries, like any LiPo are not very forgiving and it's easy to discharge and damage/destroy them if you're not careful. Ask me how I know. :oops:

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  14. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Yes, what Steve said. I would suggest adding a voltage beeper to any lipo you are using. Beepers are cheap we have learned the hard way. .

Best of luck,
    J

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ask me how I know too. Well, actually, "two." :eek:

Andy.

Jonathan Ross likes this.
  16. Timothy Wildgoose

Timothy Wildgoose New Member

Are you guys running the lipo batteries unregulated into the redrock basestation? Other than the guy that got the wrong pin set up have folks had problems burning out the basestation with the unregulated power source?

17. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

NOPE No way don't do it.

Cheers,
    J

18. Timothy Wildgoose

Timothy Wildgoose New Member

Thanks for the reply Jonathon.

In an earlier response on this thread your recommend using the RR flex cables that they sell. From what I can tell these cables don't regulate anything in themselves but RR offers a (sub) $500 powerpack that could take a movi lipo battery input (with the proper cable) and regulate it for output to the basestation.

Just curious, you also mentioned splitting the lipo lead to power your tera transmitter - do you have some sort of regulator in line between the battery and the tera?

Also, freefly states the fluctuation of their lipo batteries peaks at 18.6v while the RR basestation is rated for 13v-18v, to me that seems close enough to go for it.

You are saying I should not plug in this set up as pictured? What is the complete set up for safely powering the RR microremote FF off a freefly lipo battery?

Attached Files:

19. Jonathan Ross

Jonathan Ross Member

Hi Timothy,

The set of flex cable for I think it was $280 comes with the power regulator, ask them at RR they will tell you. Just a small grey box on the power line. Teradek doesn't need to be regulated no moving parts it is fine off of a Lipo. Drop me a message anytime.

J