/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mounting a camera in a Cardinal 177RG

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ed demoss, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ed demoss

ed demoss New Member

I am a new member as of today. Looking for information or experience in mounting a Canon 1DX with a 200 mm lens behind the pilot pointing out the pilot side . The camera would be pointing down at about a 45% angle and remotely controlled by the pilot looking at a monitor. This aircraft does not have struts and has vortex generators for very slow flight . This aircraft is used for survallence and the camera documents the activities. (Sometimes switched to video) The rear seat will be removed so an aluminum frame can be mounted with in the aircraft with a vertical post to mount a 3 axis system and camera.
    We were told the vertical movement of the aircraft could be a problem. If that is the case, can a gyro be mounted on the vertical axis that could be spring loaded to a nuteral position to dampen the vertical motion.
    We are totally out of our league on these issues but we have a machine shop that can build us whatever is needed for this project. Any assistance would be appreciated

2. Dan Walker

Dan Walker Member

Ed, get an M5 or M10. I'm not familiar with the camera/lens you mentioned so I can't suggest which one. The Radian stabilizers will do great things for your video.

3. ed demoss

ed demoss New Member

Thank you very much. At least it gives me a place to start. As you can tell we are at zero knowledge on this issue. Ed

4. Dan Walker

Dan Walker Member

Ed,
    A 3-axis brushless gimbal, such as the MOVI M5 or MOVI M10 should work well for you. These gimbals are used on small RC multirotors and if you troll around YouTube and Vimeo (search for MOVI or cinestar) you should be able to find examples of the work they are capable of. It is usually quite impressive.

These gimbals are also capable of being radio controlled. With the addition of a video downlink system your cameraman can sit up front in the plane (where there are seats ;) ) and control what the gimbal is pointing at.

5. ed demoss

ed demoss New Member

Ok thank you will start looking Ed