/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mount a camera's top handle to the MOVI handles using toad

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Nikhil Kamkolkar, May 10, 2020.

1. Nikhil Kamkolkar

Nikhil Kamkolkar New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to use the wider movi handles with my exo, and without the gimbal as I want a hand held feel.

Can I remove the gimbal portion from the movi handles, and then somehow attach a toad in the hole receiving adapter to the 1/4 20's on my camera's top handle, and plug that contraption into the toad adapter on the movi's handles?

I'd attach the toad to a point on the top handle of the camera that is the approx center of gravity for the rig.

Thanks!

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Maybe using the Freefly Ninja Star? It has a hole pattern for the toad in the hole.

3. Nikhil Kamkolkar

That's where my confusion lies... I believe I'd have to attach the CLAMP part to the top handle on my camera... because the MOVI handles would have the toad in the hole already that'd then go into the clamp. I'm unclear on whether the clamp has a 1/4 20 that can go into the 1/4 20 holes on my top handle on the camera. I don't have the toad in the hole or the ninja star with me now, and would have to buy them, but want to make sure this will actually work. Thanks!

4. Graham Futerfas

I mean, it sounds like a silly rig to me, but you could have a female toad attached to a ninja star and then bolt through that into your camera.

personally I’m not sure why you’d want to do this. You want a handheld feel? Try turning your window and smoothing to zero. I don’t think you can Majestic Roll on an M10 like on a Movi Pro, but if you could, that helps sell handheld look, too.

5. Graham Futerfas

Which exo vest ?

6. Nikhil Kamkolkar

Yes, def a silly rig. It's not so much that I want a handheld feel, but that I want to handhold a really heavy rig, and am using it with the action products runner exo (now discontinued). If I can attach the ninja start to the female toad, then I think I should be good to go. An easyrig would be the right tool for what I want to do, and I've used it for this situation, but I don't own one and want to reuse what I have instead of investing in it, or renting one etc. I've attached a pic and you can see that the arms of the exo come too close to the monitor and I just want them to be a bit wider.

Attached Files:

7. Graham Futerfas

Got it. I haven't used the Action Products rig, though I remember it from a few years ago. Can you attach with just one arm of the vest (instead of using both), and tie the strap to the top of the camera directly? Ready Rig recommends doing something like that for a handheld option, but I'm not sure if it's possible with your vest.