/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motors on Hexa reversed...what?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jim Swanson, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Jeez, I've been having my troubles lately after flying for a year pain free.
    I bought a new Power Distribution Board for my Cinestar 6 from Quadrocopter. This is the expensive pre-soldered one.

Hooked everything up and now the motors are reversed when I perform the motor-test in MK tools.
    1. Red boom motor is connected to the #1 BL on PDB...but is spinning counter clockwise.
    2. All the other motors are spinning in the wrong direction as well.

The color coded wiring from the BL to the motors is just like the old PDB.
    I did not check the addressing on each BL...you know the 3 little pads you drop solder on. I figured the expensive pre-soldered board would have that done.

Before I tear this thing apart again to check those pads...any ideas?

Could it be software?

Thanks...as usual.

jim

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jim just swap any two wires per motor and you will be good. I always try to have one common wire from the motor, typically the center one, and then swap the outside wires to get it correct. Then work out the color coded shrink wrap so if needed I can pull it apart for transport.

3. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

I thought you could reverse motor direction via Koptertool? I don't use MK ESCs so I'm not sure.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, you can reverse them via MK Tool if you access the BL-Ctrl menu.

Andy.

5. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

So...
    I double-checked the motor wires again and they are correct....soldered to the right pads, red to red, blue to blue, black to black
    The address pads on each BL are also correct.
    Now I'm concerned.
    What could cause a sudden change in direction on all the motors?

jim

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jim I'm assuming that your motor wires were already color coded prior to getting the new board? If that's the case then I could be something as simple as whoever built the new board didn't use the same color coding scheme on the A-B-C pads as your old board. Can you shoot a photo of 2 adjacent BL's.

On my old Octo board I had it setup that Green was always BL Pad C. Black and Red alternated between BL Pad A and B. All of the motor wires were setup in the same sequence of colors if you looked down on the top of the motor and saw how the wires came out in flat arrangement, L-R, Green-Red-Black. So on your board are the BL pigtails all going ABC or do two of them alternate per BL?

As a test since they are all going the wrong direction and doubtful that someone re-programmed the BL's simply ro Red =>Blue and Blue=>Red.

7. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

The pigtails were color coded on the old board. I took those off and used them in the correct color scheme on the new board. Both Power Boards, motor wires, pigtails, etc were identical...yet motors were reversed. o_O

The simple thing to do is reverse the reds and blues at this point and re-color code the wires.

8. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Yeah, it really isn't a huge deal and not an issue at all. You have a couple of options to correct motor direction.

9. Jim Swanson

Jim Swanson Member

Everything is back together and flying perfectly.
    Thanks Howard, Andy, Gary for keeping me calm.

jim