/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motors don't always engage on boot up.

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Azzie Scott, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

rather frequently when I power on my Movi Pro, the motors don't activate, It gives me a message "tap power button once to active, and hold for something else, I can't remember the exact message. So I hit the right arrow to navigate to page that shows the balance levels and usual has the "activate motors" button, but instead it shows a "motion boot" button. For me to get the motors to activate I would have to hold the power button again for my movi pro, to reboot then it would do its normal 2 second start up and motor engage. Again it does this really frequently. And most times my RED is already booted because its getting power from the movi p-tap, so when I have to reboot the movi to engage the motors it cuts the power to my RED which causes a "improper shutdown" on my cam which is not good. I don't know why this happens but happens a lot.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Probably happens because your Movi isn't 100% still when you boot. Even when I try to hold it steady with my hand, it moves enough that the sensors can't calibrate. You can use Motion Booting but then it uses the last calibration it got, which isn't as accurate.

3. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

Im confused, shouldn't the movi pro motors activate and go to its normal operating position once you turn it on? It seems odd that it activates sometimes and other times it doesn't.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

There's a calibration and initialization sequence that happens on startup before the motors become active. If this calibration fails because the Movi senses movement, the Movi will ask if you want to go into Motion Boot mode, which skips a new calibration and uses the last one saved in memory. I think you then have to power down and power up again... I forget, and could be wrong about that.

Anyway, usually I can't be touching the camera or Movi at all when it starts up, and it's difficult in windy situations or when you're building in a camera truck and AC's are bouncing up and down the lift gate, but that's why they offer Motion Booting.

Marcel Melanson likes this.
  5. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

It sounds more like you are either holding the power button too long, or it is getting stuck in the GCU housing.

Normal, expected behavior would be that you would tap the power button after the Pro is already on (and booted with motors active), and you would see that screen with the options to sleep the motors or power down.

#5 Bryan Edmonds, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Azzie Scott

Azzie Scott Member

Yes, thats what Im saying its not normal behavior Sometimes when I boot up my movi the motors don't engage, it would give a message on the screen saying to tap the power button to turn motors on, which I do and nothing happens. the only way to engage the motors is to hold the power button so it turns off then reboot. and also sometimes if I don't do a reboot and just wait it would take about 30 secs for the motors to engage. Unless I'm doing something thats abnormal which I don't see how. Tapping the power button to turn on the movi is pretty straight forward.