/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motor Movement/Shaft Play?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Josh Lambeth, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Thijm

Thijm Member

With our multirotors we put on a huge amount of force on these small bearing. There are no other configurations in the RC world which put's on the same load. If a prop hit something you can be sure to replace them.

Thijm

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Maybe not Andy, I've had a few brushes and hard landings with a chipped prop or two;) but nothing catastrophic. The Axi's 3 bearings are still holding up.

C'mon guys..Tabb! let's get a petition going, Let's stop trusting our gear to poor quality Chinese motors, let's send a group request to Axi for a 500-600KV motor that can handle up to 6s with a weight not exceeding 200g. Maybe a rewound 2826/12...this would be sweet.

3. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm a big advocate of keeping things clean and in good working order but I think you guys would be horrified to see the condition of the motors and bearings on my workhorse CS8 that now has just over 70 hours of airborne run time. They are 3328's with original bearings installed when I built it back in September 2011. I've tried to keep them clean but they are all at least slightly to heavily discolored from heat/dust/use and several of the bearings aren't as quiet as they used to be. It's due for an overhaul but that thing has flown in some crazy conditions all over the country and it's really been an incredible performer even with some pretty heavy cameras hanging on the gimbal. More powerful motors and setups will be a good thing going forward but I've enjoyed considerable success with the little 3328's.

nick

4. Philip Ellerbroek

Howard,

Does your house sound anything like this? .....

Wife: What are you up to?
    Me: Ordering new bearings for a motor
    Wife: How much is that?
    Me: $30, well, actually $60 because I also have to buy the install tool.
    Wife: WHY do you need a tool?
    Me: So I don't damage them when replacing
    Wife: WHY are you having to replace them?
    Me: Because I had a prop strike when it tipped over
    Wife: WHY did it tip over?
    Me: The wind blew and it tipped on two of the three legs
    Wife: WHY don't you move the legs out towards the props so you get more stability
    Me: I can't, the legs need to be on this gimbal
    Wife: Why?
    Me: So that the gimbal and camera can swing in 360 degrees without the legs being in the field of view of the filming. If I put the legs on the booms you would see them
    Wife: WHY do you need a gimbal?
    Me: So can get awesome shots video and so you have something to control when we go on shoots
    Wife: Oh. I'm headed for the mall
    Me: WHY?
    Wife: Shopping. I need to look cute when we go shooting

PS - I love my wife. She is the best.

Phil

5. Howard Dapp

HAHA that was classic! I haven't had the need to change bearings yet so I'm happy to say no my house does not sound like that. My house sounds more like this:

wife: what's inside of those huge boxes in the garage!!?
    me: what boxes??
    wife: don't play DUMB!
    me: (going to the garage as if to investigate)
    wife: (following closely behind)
    me: OH thooose boxes (with silly smirk) they're beadlock wheels.
    wife: wtf are beadlocks, why do you need them and how much were they!?
    me: they're specialty wheels that hold the tires more securely to the rim when wheeling and rock crawling...I caught them on sale (silly smirk)
    wife: ROCK CRAWLING!? are you nuts? that's dangerous, take them back, the ONLY rock crawling you'll be doing will be driving me to the market.
    me: silent.......................................................................................

6. Daniel Delaunay

My girlfriend told me I was giving too much attention and money to this stupid flying toys, she wanted me to stop behaving like a kid and go back to dinning out, traveling on the weekends (without flying toys), going to her friends and family meetings and all that stuff...
    I'm not sure if I miss her!
    I have been too busy buying, assembling, adjusting, crashing, fixing, selling, buying and reading forums every night! :rolleyes:

Howard Dapp likes this.
  7. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey, Can anyone confirm the size of the bearings in the MT3515 motors? Sounds like there are two different sizes:

5x11x5
    5x13x4

I would like to order these today but Boca doesn't have this information. Thanks!

Josh

8. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

685z top, 695z bottom.

9. Josh Lambeth

What does this mean for the size? I am needing the exact size because I am wanting to order them from Boca:

Bore Size:​

10 - 1200 mm​

Outside Diameter:​

12 - 1350 mm​

Josh​

10. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Do a search for those codes. You'll find it. That is what's written on the stock bearings.

11. Josh Lambeth

I did. and the numbers I posted above are what it says for the sizing...

After a few calls though looks like the actual sizes are the same as I posted above.

I just ordered new Orange Seal #7 ceramics from Boca Bearings... man they are expensive!

Josh

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh, can you post the Boca part numbers? And yes they hurt....

13. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Howard, Why send a petition to Axi when we have THE motor expert at Freefly. You guys will be very pleased with what we have on the way ;)

Howard Dapp likes this.
  14. Josh Lambeth

We are all, well maybe not all of us, patiently waiting to see when and what you guys have up your sleeve! :D

Gary, I will post the part numbers when i can. They didn't give me the part number on the phone, just gave me the price.

Josh

15. Howard Dapp

Tabb, I really hope so, this would be great. Nothing against tiger or KW rebrands, I just like my equipment to last, no shotty bearings etc, a single prop strike shouldn't trash a bearing IMO. This is why I'm still holding onto my Axi motors...same set for over 2 years and still solid (Axi run 3 bearngs). My next upgrade path would be the Axi 4120 series but they're just too heavy. Just waiting for a powerful lightweight quality motor:)

16. Howard Dapp

A thought just popped in my head.. Although the 12c converters are not supported by FF, will your team at least test your new ESC/motor combo with one of these converters and MK electronics? There will be loads of users not immediately willing to switch their MK flight control for something new BUT will certainly want the option to use your 'matched' ESC/motor combo with their MK flight board...I, for one would go this route. You guys wouldn't necessarily need to sign off on the use of a converter but more of a confirmation that flight stability and performance is not affected when using one with your equipment.

Heck, maybe your team could produce a FF i2c converter for guys who already have MK equipment with their original CS purchase. This opens the door for sales to a wider user base for your new ESC/Motor combo.

17. Josh Lambeth

Interesting Idea...

I would be up for testing them. Tabb if you want I also have another converter that I could send your way for testing.

I have another question. I just got done swapping all the bearings out but I have one motor (extra one thankfully) that I can't get the bottom bearing out of. Anyone have any ideas? Can I heat it up some-how without damaging the motor to make it easier to get out?

Josh

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Did you watch Bart's video for how to do that? I realize the motor is different but he just taps it a rod resting on the bearing with a hammer to ease it out as I recall. You can also try holding a small chunk of ice against the bearing to cool it down and shrink it....that might do it.

Andy.

19. Josh Lambeth

Thats how I was doing it. I will try the ice trick though and will let you know how that works. Thanks!

josh

20. Josh Lambeth

Ok, Ice trick didn't work... I must have really bad luck or something... anyone else who has used bearings from Boca... did your copter get louder when you did that? All my motors sound much louder and one of them sounds worse then any of my others ever did before... IDK if it's just because the bearings are new and need to be broken in but it sounds pretty freaking bad... Ill try and post video.

Josh