/dist/images/branding/favicon

motor magnets wearing out?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Laurence Hamilton-Baillie, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

Hi all, i have been running a set of Axi 2814-22 motors to lift a 5d and custom brushless gimbal. This is a prity heavy setup for these motors and i have been flying in some very hot countries over the past few months. I am scared that i have denatured the magnets in the motors as i just bought a couple of spare motors and noticed that the cogging effect is much stronger on the new ones than the old ones. is this something other people have encountered? is a weaker cogging effect due to them being pluged into the ESCs or is it because of de=-natured magnets due to motor over heating?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

How hot do you think you've made the motors, Laurence? The max operating temperatures varies depending the magnetic material, but it ranges from 176F/80C up to as high as 392F/200C.

The cogging effect also depends on whether the windings are open circuit or not, so the only far comparison is to compare the old motors with the new motors when they're both open circuit.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Have you ever replaced the bearings in the old motors? I'd order a set of bearings from Boca Bearings, along with Bart's magic bearing tool, and see if it makes a difference.

4. Graydon Tranquilla

Here is what I use for replacing bearings....

Attached Files: