/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motor fails in flight

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Michael Koff, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I think Dave is right. Check that all the motors are spinning correct direction. If one is not all you need to is swap two of the wires.

I would take the props off and do a individual motor test and verify they are all spinning correctly.

Another safety tip. Make sure your props are correct. On multi rotors the clockwise labeled prop is really the CCW prop, etc. These props are label for looking at them through the other side of the motor like staring at them through the bottom of the copter.

Not saying you did this, but it has happened before on here, so I figured its worth mentioning.

Shaun

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael: DaveK is correct -- check that the transmitter trims are all centered (as he describes).
    The motor start up order is curious -- can you connect up with MK Tool to the FC board and use the Motor Test to individually spin up each motor and verify the correct direction of rotation (remove the props before you do this, please!)

Also verify on the Channels window of MK Tool that the respective channels are working for the control sticks. You may need to recalibrate the MX-20 controls as well, depending on what you find.

Andy.

3. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

So I took props off, centers all trims 1-4 to 0 (obviously with throttle at 50%, setting trim to 0), and started up. All motors are spinning clockwise. Why would this be? I just got the brand new PDB board back from QC, and all the leads are color coded...should I be switching all the even numbered motor leads now?!? Seems odd...
    Will hook up to MK tool in a bit here...

4. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Hooked up to MK tool, the motor test icon disappeared when I hooked up...On Channels window of MK tool, the correct channels match the sticks. My current Servo Display on MX-20 is
    Ch1 (-114%) throttle stick is down obviously)
    Ch2 (0%)
    Ch3 (+1%) there is no 0...just +1 or -1
    Ch4 (0%)
    Ch 5, 6, 7 (-103%)
    Ch 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (0%)

But again, all motor spin clockwise, spinning 14x4.7 APC props, every other a pusher...

5. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

You can change the motor direction in MKTool:
    "Reverse Direction: Here you can reverse the direction of a controller by software."
    http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/BL-Ctrl_2.0#Software_Update
    When you wire you motors if you hook them all up identically they will all spin the same way.
    You can also reverse every other one by switching two (of the three) wires around on each motor you want to reverse.

6. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

You all have no idea how much I value your advice. I reversed every other motor lead, and just took her on a little test flight...flying great, straight as an arrow. THANK YOU for your help!

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Also, as I recall, the Motor Test tab disappears unless you click on Settings....it's been a while since I've done it, so apologies if that's the issue. I do remember it does not appear all the time!

Andy.

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

You just need to click -> Flight Ctrl to make the motor tester appear. We're very close these days.

9. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

I have everything plugged in correctly, assuming QC didn't mistake any of their color-coded ESC leads on the PDB.

Hello Michael,
    I troubleshot your old board and replaced/tested the replacement. Just to double check did our staff send you this video asking to double check your motor directions?

Best,
    Jeff

Dave King and Gary McCready like this.
  10. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Pretty cool! Customized video for the customer!!!!

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Awesome support from you guys, Jeff.
    I feel like I want to break something and send it in just so I can get a customized video.
    Oh, wait...I already did. :oops:

12. Michael Koff

Michael Koff Member

Hey Jeff, I did see the video, Thanks. I plugged in the motor leads to the new color coded PDB, as the old PDB matched colors on every motor. The new one needed to be swapped every other motor, so my odd motors aren't color-correct, and the evens are. Thanks for the video and the information, as its all working swell now.