/dist/images/branding/favicon

More lights!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gustav Raberg, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Hi.

I've been thinking of putting some more LEDs on my machine. I fly cs8 with MK gear and running lights on boom 1,4 and 6 but I'd like to have one bright sucker on the end of boom 5, the problem is I can't run any more lights trough the FC ( can't remember the limit but I'm almost there with the lights i have). How are you guys doing it? Trough the PDB? The only light I can find is 12V and they will burn with a 4s battery. A BEC for the lights seams overkill!?

G

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

LED's from RC-Lights.com. Mount them in an end cap. Use a BEC like the one from Castle Creations to reduce down to 6volts from the main battery circuit. I have two reds in the back boom and a red and green on the 3 and 7.

If you want brighter LED's look at LEDLightworld and get the ones that are double the number per meter.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I got the lights from RC-lights too and they work really good.

4. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

5. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Gary - Which LEDs did you get from RC-Lights to fit on the end of the booms?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kristian I got the 5324 kit (http://www.rc-lights.com/products/RCL5324.html). Way overkill but I didn't know if I wanted flashers or how many. At the local hardware store I found some plugs for the end of the booms (3,5,7). Drilled two holes in one of them for boom 5 and mounted two reds in the little chrome housings. One red in boom 7 and one green in boom 3.

Not as kool at the police are flasher system recently posted but helps with orientation and easy to see the back boom.

7. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Thanks Gary!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I bought some but you cannot see them in bright sunlight -- they may be visible if you hide the LEDs inside the booms so they have a nice dark background, though.

Andy.