/dist/images/branding/favicon

Monitor adjustable arm for Movi

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Ben Hughes, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Has anyone found a good solution to mounting monitor on the cross bar? I want to find something that is easily adjustable with one hand! I always find with noga arms and the included movi monitor mount they are difficult to adjust on the fly. Something like the red lcd screen that when you move it, the monitor stays in that position but in any position if that makes sense?
    Thanks

2. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Ben,

I use ultra light arms for my Movi setup. I have it in 3 segments, similar to the attached picture. My bottom piece is the same, except it's female so you can screw a 1/4-20 screw through the Freefly CF accessory mount into the female piece. If you use the same bottom piece in the picture (male) as your top piece, you can screw your monitor into it.

Attached Files:

3. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

I use a DJI mount. Works perfect and very secure and doesn't scratch the carbon fiber when you adjust it since it has a plastic sleeve surrounding the rod. You can tighten it down with one hand or keep it semi tight where you can tilt or adjust the monitor with enough friction where it won't move. I use my Odyssey 7Q+ on it and it works great. What I don't like about the small ball type arms, they are too cumbersome to adjust and just add weight. The opening or diameter is the same size as the Movi rods. It's also a quick release so it easy to take off after breakdown.

Attached Files:

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Like Kurt, I also like the Ultralight arms. I had a Noga arm, but the joint bolt broke, and I couldn't get it replaced. The Ultralights are less expensive, modular, hold better than the Noga's, and if a part breaks, I can inexpensively replace just the broken part. I love the modular aspect, and I've been really happy how well they hold.

The 1/4-20 male bolt sticking out of the ball joint can be removed with an allen key, and then you have a 1/4-20 receiver. I use that on the Movi accessory mount, and stick a 1/4-20 bolt with a locking-washer through it.

I use two of these (remove the 1/4-20 male bolt from one of them):
    http://www.evsonline.com/ulcs-ad-1420-1-4-x20-tpi-universal-adapter-with-stud.html

And one of these:
    http://www.evsonline.com/ulcs-ac-cs-clamp.html

5. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Thanks very much for the input, some good suggestions. Kurt, really like the look of that arm, do you have to change the bottom section to female to go on the Freefly mount?
    Adam, does the dji mount only tilt? And is that just on the cross bar? It doesn't look like it's designed to move from the picture? Do you just tighten it enough that there's enough slack to move it?
    Graham, so you use the same as kurt but adapt it with those accessories?
    Thanks again

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ben, I use a similar system to Kurt, but he uses a different part on the Monitor end of the bracket. You're correct -- the male version of the Ultralight 1/4-20 thread can be made into a female by simply taking an allen key to the thread and unscrewing it. It comes right out. I think it's held in with a little Locktite from the factory.

After removing the 1/4-20 male thread, I use a 1/4-20 bolt and a lock-washer to attach the Ultralight to the Movi accessory mount. Here's the bolt I use (add a lock-washer so it doesn't come undone):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1068642-REG/oben_rps_14d_screw_1_4_20_for_rp.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Also, here are some pics of my rig, if it helps.

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

7. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

I use products from Smallrig attached to a movi clamp bracket. I use their stud and the adjustable arm leaving the stud on the movi arm and just releasing the small rig arm. I leave it a bit loose so that I can quick grab and adjust monitor as I change my hands and angle. Can be found on amazon.

Smallrig® Dlsr 15mm Micro Rod with 1/4" Male Thread - 1.5 Inch Long with Locking Wheel - 1552

Smallrig® Adustable Multi-function Double Ballhead Rail Clamp V6 with Standard 1/4"-20 Male Thread for Dslr 15mm Rod System -1263

8. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Yes, the Dji mount fits perfectly around the cross bar. Depending on the clamping pressure, you can tilt it and have it stay in place. when you unscrew the clamp, it splits in two being held together by a hing and comes off easily.

9. Adam Brennan

Adam Brennan Member

Here's picture of my rig before I got my Red camera. You can sort of see the DJI mount holding my monitor.

Attached Files: