/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mobile Charging station using car battery

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by jesse ryan, Jun 11, 2014.

1. jesse ryan

jesse ryan New Member

Ive been looking all over the internet trying to find some answers on how to create a mobile charging station using car batteries and have come up with nothing useful (it might be that Im not searching for the right thingsā€¦ I don't know)

I bought two deep cycle batteries and I just need someone to tell me what I need and how to wire it up so that I can plug in my Efuel power supply and hyperion charger.

thanks in advance for the help!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Depends on the charger. The eFuel would need an inverter to convert to 120V. Depending on the Hyperion some use a 12V source and a few are also only 120v. If it is a 12/24V model then just use the included alligator clips.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary's right -- and it would need to be quite a hefty inverter for the eFuel and really not the way to go -- you'd be better off not to use the eFuel at all as it's grossly inefficient to use a battery with an inverter to get AC, and then use the eFuel to convert AC back to DC to provide power to the charger. Just stay with DC.

Just wire the two deep cycle batteries in series to get 24 volts and feed that into the Hyperion.

How to wire in series? http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Wire-Batteries-in-Series-or-in-Parallel/

Be careful though, Jesse. You're dealing with batteries that can deliver a lot of current in a single bright flash of light. :)

Andy.

4. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Hi Jesse, try to keep it in DC land to maintain efficiency. Converting to AC is lossy, unfortunately.

5. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

6. jesse ryan

jesse ryan New Member

thanks for all the help guys, but I decided after a little more research to just go get a generator. seems much easier and safer.