/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK vs. Wookong-M

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Matt Aurisy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Matt Aurisy

Matt Aurisy New Member

So I'm getting ready to do my first big build (CS8). I'm sure that this has been covered somewhere on here before, but I wasn't able to find it. Please excuse me if this is a repost, I'm pretty new here. When I first specced the build I had an MK stack in my sights. As I'm getting ready to put my order in I'm getting a little apprehensive. The one person I kind of know in the business has abandoned his MK electronics and gone back to DJI after several BL burnups, and I keep bumping into stories like this on forums. This certainly may have been his own fault, but I'm not sure that I'm experienced enough to not have this happen to me. From what I have gathered the advantages to MK is a level of tuning not possible within the Wookong platform. I'm just wondering if at my level I am going to be able to get the most out of it or if I should stick to the more straightforward FC.

I am willing and interested in putting in the time at the bench and on the computer to get things right and tight, but I don't want my tweaking to come at the expense of my bird. I have found several easy video tutorials explaining what the setup would look like on the wookong, which doesn't look like much besides some gain adjustments. Has anybody on here seen comparable vids for the MK setup? I've read most of the manual, at great expense to my own personal comprehension of the English language:) and I don't feel super confident yet.

I appreciate any input/personal insight that you guys may have, and I'm grateful that this forum exists.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Matt how do you intend to use your CS8? What kind of camera and gimbal setup? Have you decided on motors/props/battery type? These all have an impact on how someone might answer your question.

3. Matt Aurisy

Matt Aurisy New Member

Pretty standard I think. Something to fly 5d/7d. Cinestar gimbal 2-axis, w Radians to start. May upgrade to 3 axis in future. From what I understand props and battery would change based on the FC.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

So for where you are starting the MK system with the power boards and BL's would be fine. Those that fly the other systems like Hoverfly and DJI will have opinions about the pluses and minuses of their setups. Best answer is to read through this forum some of the others like multirotorforums to get a feel for what others have to say. Doesn't seem to be any single answer.

And with a CS8 system as the base you have lots of options for props, motors and batteries.

5. Matt Aurisy

Matt Aurisy New Member

Thanks. Yeah I've done quite a bit of reading in this and other forums already. Multirotorforums has a thread to this effect, but many people on there are hobbyists and aren't flying with professional video in mind. I wish I had 9,000 to spend on a "hobby" :)

6. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Don't worry you will...is an addiction believe me...

Bill

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Bill is not wrong. :)

Andy.

8. Michael comissiong

Hi,
    I fly both MK AND WKM the wkm is easier, less time consuming to set up, and for smaller spaces i find it more stable .
    the mk has more options but needs a lot more attention to get it tuned just right and I tend to use it in wider open spaces
    Just my 2 cents worth.

9. Graydon Tranquilla

The DJI WKM gets a lot of heat and blame by hobbyists who are in over their heads. It was developed for commercial/industrial usage including pro level aerial cinematography etc. The Cinestar products were originally developed for direct mounting of the MK products. I have the Cinestar 8 and will be using a DJI A2 or WKM. Time will tell but life is too short from my perspective to switch back and forth between MK and DJI...... too much learning, configuring, calibration, troubleshooting and not enough flight time.