/dist/images/branding/favicon

Minor crash today...Settings or just me?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Changed a few settings on the "gyro" tab in MK Tools and took her out for a spin. I noticed it kept drifting to the right at a hover (not in altitude hold), sometimes quickly and slightly changed yaw all on it's own. There was a slight wind...maybe 5mph. Lost orientation for a second because of the drift and put it down before it hit a pole...close call. Bounced hard and flipped upside down. No damage, just had to re-align a few motors and clean off the muddy snow.
    Looking for advise from those of you who've been flying for a while and have tuned in your settings. Please have a look at these settings and share whats working for you. Seeking the perfect mix! And no..I didn't have my SD card in my radio...damn!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Any chance you had the microSD card in the Navigation Control board? ;)
    Sorry to nag. A valid response is: "Yes, dear...." :)

Also, did you balance the Cinestar with battery by suspending it? Just curious to see what might be causing the roll to the right?
    You might also want to double check your Tx trim and subtrim.
    Bring up MK tools, Settings -> Channels, and verify that the TX is sending 127 on the roll channel (usually that's channel 2 in mode 2) when the stick is centered.

Did the Cinestar respond when you tried to counter the roll?

Andy.

3. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Sorry Andy...no SD card today. I'll put it in tomorrow...and keep it there! :(.
    I never suspended it to check balance, but never experienced such a drift before. I couldn't imagine what could be off balance...even the battery is dead centered...with Velcro so it can't slide in flight. But I'll check the balance tomorrow. And yes...it responded to the counter roll, but then went back to a drift...every time...drift, counter...drift, counter...like my truck when it needs a front end alignment! Wind was blowing straight on, so I know that's not a factor. I'll have a look at the TX settings and get back to you on that.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmm. Well, assuming the trims on the TX are good, I do a recalibration of the ACC just to eliminate that as a possibilty.

Andy.

5. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Hi Chris

Did you happen to see any of these videos? They are a helpful reference and a starting point. I know each copter is different as far as balance based on different equipment used. Doesn't mikrokopter have a manual that tells you what each of the PID settings do? I would like to have this myself and it seems like this is the missing holy grail.

6. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Dave...and yes, I've watched those before and changed my parameters to what he has in the first video you posted. One thing I remember is raising my gyro D from ? (10 or 20) to 30 as he recommended. Maybe this could be the culprit? I had bookmarked this spreadsheet I found out there showing what others are using for settings with MK products. One thing I noticed is that "most" people fly with gyro D at 10.

Check it out...and go through all the tabs on the bottom of the page. Interesting stuff.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArfrElQnmjucdFFPX3dYZ1d1VnFyLXI2S1FLQUVaemc#gid=9

And...possibly the holy grail of MK setting explanations you were looking for?
    Click through all the parameters on the left. Just found this yesterday!
    http://www.mkmanual.com/mikrokopter-tool/mk-tools-tabs/altitude
    Thanks!!!

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Early last year I helped Dennis move the manual to a PDF format. It should be downloadable here. Good compilation and adjunct to Andy's video set.

8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Chris,

Did you happen to change any of the values for Yaw P, I ? A Gyro D: 30 is a bit high. Our CineStar-8 RTFs are set up with Gyro D: 18.

Also, as Andy said you should also re-calibrate the ACC (full throttle/full right rudder) anytime you make changes to PIDs.

Greetings,
    Adam

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Thanks Gary...got it!

Adam...yes, I changed my Yaw P to 100 but left Yaw I at 120. Being new to the CS8 (so much to learn), I didn't re-calibrate the ACC after the changes. I'll change Gyro D back to 18, and was hoping you could provide me with the RFT settings for Gyro-P&I as well as Yaw-P&I. I wrote them down before I made the changes, but think the paper accidentally found it's way in the trash. Dynamic stability is at 64.
    When calibrating ACC's...do this while still connected to MK tools or disconnected?
    Thanks for your assistance!

10. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris you can do the ACC not connected. Just make sure to use a bubble level, I put mine in the center of the battery tray and make sure the ship is level.

11. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Chris,

+1 with Gary. Your Gyro P, I are fine. Yaw P, I, will be default for okto2.mkm

Greetings,
    Adam

12. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

13. Dave King

That manual was exactly what I was looking for thanks Chris and Gary.

14. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I agree on the Gyro D at 30 is too high. I tried a high number like that and almost lost it.

Josh

Chris Babiana likes this.
  15. Dave King