/dist/images/branding/favicon

Minimum Tablet Size?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Graham Futerfas, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I currently use an inexpensive 7" Nexus Android Tablet to run the app for the Movi, and I have read in older threads here that the app requires a 7" minimum size tablet. Is this still the case, even with the new Movi app?

I think the thread I found was information from 2013. I'd love to be able to run the Movi with a smaller, pocket sized Android tablet or phone, like a Samsung Note or Galaxy or something similar. The 7" tablet doesn't fit in most pockets, so we have to keep it in a ditty bag or larger belt pouch.

Thanks,
    -Graham

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Last I heard the 7" was the minimum size, Graham, but perhaps that has indeed changed....

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Andy. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on an Android phone and test it.

4. Ikbal Arafa

Ikbal Arafa New Member

Hi, The app is working fine on my Samsung S6 but with a little different layout. everything looks more squeezed. Actually, I'm not using my Nexus tablet anymore ;-)

5. Graham Futerfas

Indeed, I borrowed an old Samsung S4 phone yesterday and worked most of the day with it. It worked very well with the new Movi app and fits in my pocket. I'm going to buy one on Amazon (maybe a Samsung S5?) because it's much more convenient than the tablet.

6. Graham Futerfas

I ended up buying a refurbished Samsung S5 on Amazon for under $200. It's working perfectly well with the Movi. Tuning, settings, reading\writing, etc. All good. Running Android 6.0.1 firmware and using the new Freefly Movi app V2.1.1.

On the tablet, I could see all the settings at once on every page, but with the smaller screen, there are a few pages where you need to scroll down to see everything. No big deal. Not noticing any squeezing, and the buttons are all fairly large and easy to adjust.

Yes, it's an extra chunk of money, but I like to have a dedicated device to talk with the Movi when it's on set, and this will be much nicer than the 7" tablet since it can fit in my pocket. I'm not putting a SIM card in it, just bluetooth and wifi. Since I work in a production environment, it's worth it to have a dedicated device that I know has full charge, isn't being used for checking emails or anything, and can live in the Movi kit.

Anyway, just thought I'd report back on it.

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for posting (and taking the risk), Graham!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.