/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic Red control

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ben Platts, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Using the mimic to control Red cameras can you select what parameters you can change on the Red or is it stuck to the 6 that are listed on the mimic straight away? I'd love to be able to change iris, resolution etc rather than colour temp or Red code. I see you have greater control with the Movi control but are these other settings accessible on the mimic?

2. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

The parameters that are currently available are set by us during programming. If there are other things you would like to be able to adjust, they will have to be added in future firmware releases.

Send any feature requests to support@freeflysystems.com !

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I think it would be awesome if we can choose our own parameters or at least the SHOOTING frame rate instead of PROJECT frame-rate.

Josh

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

5. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Totally agree. Would be great to have access to all parameters then just select the 6 you want to use at the time

6. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Access to all parameters are not currently in scope for next release.
    However if you guys make a list of top 20 parameters you'd like to see, that would be much more doable for the software team in the near term.
    Also, iris can now be adjusted via MIMIC with v1.1 beta release.

7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Deniz, I know you mentioned a possible Firmware update coming soon for the PS4. If you're looking for additional suggestions for the User Interface, here's what I'd like:

On the Movi Pro: --Ability to adjust the Majestic settings (smoothness and window)

On the Mimic: Ability to adjust the Mimic Mode -- Direct, Level Roll, etc.

With ability to control those items on the Movi, along with what we already have, I would rarely need to pull out the app on set.

8. Ryan Holdridge

The only three things I can think of right now that would be great for RED control would be frame rate adjustment (not project frame rate) and the ability to eject media. If you don't have the touch screen attached, ejecting media becomes a bit of a hassle.

Also, being able to play back clips would be amazing. I know that is a bit more involved, interface wise.

9. Martin C. Walsh

Martin C. Walsh New Member

My team is very confused about internal iris control of EF lenses via RCP. I have seen this listed as a feature in several places, often in marketing, but no information on how to set this up. We would put a second motor on the rig if we could, but with the internal iris EF lenses we use we are out of luck other than using the touchscreen or the Fool Control app.

How do we take advantage of MIMIC iris control for these lenses? If the feature is not there, will you please forward a request to add f/stop controls via toggle, as you do for shutter and iso?

Canon EF wides are critical to our operation right not, and I'm really tired of running Fool Control for just this one feature that seems missing.

10. Bryan Edmonds

In this video you can see Tabb demonstrate how to adjust focus and iris (motors) with MIMIC gestures. If you aren't using motors, you do not need to calibrate, but you can still control the focus and iris in the same way. Just toggle to the iris control, and then hold control and move the MIMIC to adjust your iris.

Additionally, if you have a Bush Pilot, you can use it to control Iris through the RCP cable interface, again, without calibration or external motors.

11. Martin C. Walsh

Thanks for the quick reply Bryan, I will look into this right away. Does seem overly complicated/$ for a simple feature that could toggle like shutter and iso.

I will send our thoughts to support@freeflysystems.com as you mentioned above. I do hope that you'll consider a large part of your audience for the Movi Pro could be at least occasionally using internal EF lenses, a setup that needs far less complicated controls, but desperately needs controls nonetheless.

Also, you might reconsider your marketing. This statement for instance is specifically misleading:

"This allows users to control functions like Start/Stop, ISO, Frame Rate, Color temp, and Focus and aperture on EF lenses all from up to 600+ feet away using the MōVI Controller and MIMIC controller."​

All of those items listed above except Aperture are simple toggle controls and do not require an extra purchase (Bush Pilot) or physically moving the MIMIC which is pretty dumb in a stationary system like our controller on the desk in the picture below, or mounted to a tripod in some fashion.

We'll probably buy a Bush Pilot, but I definitely do wish it was part of the RCP toggle environment.

Thank you for adding Sensor FPS, was happy to see that with the firmware update I made last night.

Attached Files:

12. Martin C. Walsh

Ok Bryan, just confirmed it works. Thank you for the explanation.

I'll say it is dumb compared to the would-be functionality of a toggle in the RCP controls. However, like all Freefly products, it is far more responsive than any other aperture control we have, to include the toggle wheel on my RED side-handle. Impressive.

13. Bryan Edmonds

Glad to hear that it's working, and I'll add menu toggle iris control to the feature request list for consideration in future updates.

I believe the reason it isn't currently in the toggle menu is the assumed use is pulling iris, not snapping it. More like focus, and less like shutter.

And as far as being specifically misleading, I would have to disagree. The statement you quoted states that you can adjust those parameters from the MIMIC and MōVI Controller, which is true. I suppose we could include more notes, to say that the non-FIZ elements are menu based, but FIZ elements require physical input. But reading it the way it is currently worded, did you expect to be able adjust focus with menu based toggles?

For the record, you cannot command any axis of FIZ from the MIMIC, with or without motors, without a physical input like the Bush Pilot or MIMIC gesture.

14. Martin C. Walsh

Hi Bryan, thanks for adding this to your feature request list. I think you will find more feedback thanking you than your team might expect.

There have been a lot of us upgrading into RED territory from Canon C100/300's and 5D's in the last year. Many more to come that will gravitate to at least a RED Raven/Movi Pro setup. All of these customers have Canon EF glass with internal irises. I myself haven't 'pulled iris' in 7 years as a result of going Canon with a 5D and upgrading through numerous cameras to a RED Epic-W without changing the Zeiss EF glass (also internal iris-only) that I originally bought.

As a result, our only choice has been to toggle through sharp digital aperture steps. I read "aperture on EF lenses" and definitely expected a 1/3 or 1/4 step through on a toggle in the RED RCP control section.

You mentioned focus, I had no expectation for focus control through toggle. Never needed or looked as we came in with a wireless focus system already in place. Was surprised by the MIMIC focus gesture control when I found it tonight. Neat, but kinda useless.

The gesture control for MIMIC is far from useless though, artistic and inspiring in many ways. Even still, a toggle switch would be a far more functional control for our second operator and used on a daily basis.

To recap: Please consider 1/3 or 1/4 step toggles in the RCP MENU for EF electronic iris. Those of us with Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma EF glass will all appreciate it as an addition to the MIMIC gesture control.

15. Devin Whetstone

Devin Whetstone New Member

I would love a few things added to the next firmware:

Enter and exit Playback, next clip, previous clip, Play clip, Fast Forward, Rewind, Stop
    Eject Media
    Format Media
    Rec. Frame Rate