/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic Jitters Issues

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Brandon Obey, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

Having issues with the Mimic. Every time I bind the mimic, the Movi jitters even though I have the mimic, w/o the antenna attached, a good 15 - 20ft away. I tried this outside away from all WiFi communications and still the Movi jitters. When I operate without the Mimic the jitters stop. I’ve been reading the forums and Facebook groups this seems like a common issue, Has there been a fix yet?

Movi and Mimic Firmware: 1.4

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Do you have any receivers plugged in? I found that I got Mimic jitters with my Alpha Wheels receiver in, even if the wheels were off

3. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

No other receivers connected just the mimic

4. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

UPDATE: Hey guys, so I was recently on a shoot in downtown Tokyo where we were using the mimic w/o issues only difference was we’re inside a building w/ minimal WiFi. Even if the Mimic was 5ft away from MoviPro, there were no jitters. I’ve heard of the radio frequencies being an issue with the mimic. My initial test where I experienced the jitters happened in my home in Atlanta (w/ WiFi disconnected & NO ANTENNA) and outside of downtown.

What would be some solutions other than sending the Mimic and MōVI Pro back to Freefly? I thought about wrapping Mimic in aluminum foil to dumb down the outside radio frequencies in order to get a 1:1 transmission between the Mimic and MōVI Pro.

5. Brandon Obey

Brandon Obey Member

UPDATE: I figured out a solution. Wrapping the golden tip of the mimic in alumminum foil actually works. I was less than 5 feet away from the MōVI Pro with the Mimic and right next to my WiFi router in my home and VOILA!!! I had no jitters on the gimbal. Alumminum foil helps cancel out the outside RF frequency interference in order to get a clearer signal between the Mimic and the MōVI Pro. Just like how we used to do with the old school TV’s.

So if you are on a shoot outside in some downtown city and the director/dp wants to use the Mimic be sure to keep some alumminum foil in your AC/Camera Op bag.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice solution! I believe it's called a Faraday Screen or Cage.

Cheers
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Brandon Obey likes this.
  7. evabrown

evabrown New Member