/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic Firmware Update?

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Howey Mitsakos, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Howey Mitsakos

Howey Mitsakos New Member

Hello,
    I just updated my Movi Pro to firmware version 1.4. That was successful. Now I'm trying to update the firmware on the Mimic and I have no idea how to do that. When my Movi is on, it detects my Mimic, though the status indicator on my Mimic is still red. The firmware on my Mimic is v1.0.2. I see no options in the app to update the Mimic. Really want to get this working so I can take advantage of the PS4 controller and the like. How do I get this Mimic updated? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Turn off your Movi Pro and connect the app to your Mimic while it's on. You have to connect the app to the Mimic the same way you would connect to your Movi Pro. You might have to tap on the "Connect" button on the home screen of the app.

Does that help? I know it's a little confusing when I type it out.

In other words, pretend like your Mimic is a 2nd Movi Pro. It connects to the app on your phone and has its own settings, just like your Movi Pro does.

3. Howey Mitsakos

Thanks for the quick reply, Graham. That makes total sense. However, when I tap on connect, and the Mimic is on (and the Movi is off) it says, "No devices found." I read else where about putting the SD card from the Movi into the Mimic. Is that what I'm missing here? Does it need the same SD card to "read" the Mimic through the app? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure.

4. Graham Futerfas

Hi Howey, I don't think it has anything to do with the SD card.

Are you using an iPhone or Android?

On the iPhone at least, the app should discover the Mimic directly. But maybe you can hard-reset the Movi Pro app by double tapping the home button and swiping up on the app, and then restarting? Also, you could try resetting Network Preferences on your iPhone, but that's a bit more drastic and may cause you to have to enter all your passwords again.

You're definitely using the Movi Pro app and not the Movi legacy app?

Check your bluetooth Settings, as well. Something's not right about what you're telling me.

5. Howey Mitsakos

I'm on an Android, Graham. A Google Pixel XL. I'm definitely using the Movi Pro app. The MoviPro updated just fine. The app works with the MoviPro just fine. When I go into my Bluetooth settings, I can see a device pop up when the Mimic is turned on. It's called, "RigCom." I tried to pair the phone to it, but nothing happens. So frustrating. I have no idea what's up. I do have an iPad. Should i try installing the Movi App on that and updating the Mimic from there?

6. Graham Futerfas

I can't really advise you on the Android. Sorry, I just don't use it with Movi Pro regularly.

But maybe try your iPad if you want. Make sure you get the Movi Pro app and not the Legacy one (for M5/10/15).

I'm surprised you could connect to Movi Pro and not the Mimic. On iPhone, you just connect in the app, not in your iPhone's settings, but maybe it's different on Android.

7. Howey Mitsakos

Not a problem. I'll try downloading the Movi Pro app and updating the Mimic via the iPad in the morning and see what happens. I'll post my results here in case there's anyone else out there experiencing the same issue as myself. Again, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

8. Graham Futerfas

Good luck, and please follow up! I give a lot of advice on this forum, good and bad, and often wonder if some of it ever works for people. I wish more people would post here so everyone can learn more about the Movi. I always enjoy reading about failures and what the solutions were, because I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes and misfortunes than my own.

9. Howey Mitsakos

Okay, so I downloaded the Movi Pro app on my iPad and on my wife's iPhone. In either case, the app will not see the Mimic. I can connect to the MoviPro on all of the devices (Google Pixel XL, iPad Mini 3, iPhone 7) but not the Mimic. It just isn't being recognized. I know it's communicating with the MoviPro since I get the "Mimic Status" on the radio screen and I can control the MoviPro with the Mimic when it's on (although it shakes like crazy). My status indicator on the Mimic is red, even though it is connected. I'm sure this is wonky firmware thing, but no idea how to fix this.

Graham, you're advice on these forums are very helpful. I've run across your replies more than once with what look to be great solutions. I agree that everyone should use these forums more. I will do so in the future. But looks like I'll have to start a support ticket with Freefly to see if this issue can be resolved.

10. Graham Futerfas

Red Status indicator usually goes away if you let the Mimic sit still when you boot it up. I often set it on a table to let it boot for a few seconds until that turns green.

That said, it doesn't sound like that's your problem, so Support is your next best option. Good luck!

11. Howey Mitsakos

Tried not moving it, still got nothin'. A ticket just went off to Freefly. I'll post back here when i find a solution. Thanks!

12. Howey Mitsakos

I sent a video of my issue into Freefly. Looks like my Mimic is malfunctioning. Could be a faulty Bluetooth module or something else. I'm sending it out for repair. Just wanted to finish this thread off in case anyone else runs into this issue.