/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mimic Details

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Nicolas T, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

After seeing a video on Facebook about how the mimic can be used with a pan tilt head to make the Movi a remote camera, I am seeing even more how great this would be.

What exactly does one get/need to use the Mimic (aside from a wireless video/monitor setup)?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Nothing else, really. Well, a MōVI, but you knew that.

3. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

One note on the Mimic is that anyone with a Movi Controller already has the Mimic hardware built into their Controller. At some point there will simply be a firmware upgrade that gives your Movi Controller the Mimic tech. This was demonstrated at the Freely booth by putting a Movi Controller on a pan tilt head and using that to control a Movi. As someone with a controller already I thought this was a great feature that they had pre-planned for. I had also heard while I was at the booth that it will be easy to turn the roll axis on and off - so if you want the roll axis to be able to bank into turns you can do that, or leave it turned off to keep the camera level the whole time.

Todd Mahoney likes this.
  4. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

I'll be using the Mimic with an MoVI M10. Will the Mimic be able to control the Wedge? If not day one, sometime in the future? What about remote shutter control? I currently use external receivers (Graupner in single user mode and Spektrum in two user mode) to accomplish this via the transmitter.

I'd also be interested in feedback, tips, etc. on using the Mimic for aerial shots.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael download the latest Controller Beta software. https://freeflysystems.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205087245

New Features:
    • MIMIC Mode (Beta). Enables intuitive control of the MōVI pan, tilt, and roll axis by physically moving the MōVI Controller. See MōVI Controller Knowledge Base for instructions.
    • Mappable Pan and Tilt Trim.
    • Added support for Freefly WEDGE (see latest MōVI Controller User Guide for more information).

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've upgraded to this MIMIC beta release and I have to say that it's an awesome, intuitive, addition to the MōVI Controller. It's one of those "slap palm to forehead" moments as in, "Wow! Why didn't I think of that?" :)

Andy.

7. Mike Peters

Mike Peters Member

Gary,

Thanks for your response. I'm still not sure of the functionality of the Mimic itself without a MoVI Controller. I've already installed the beta release software for my M10 and just waiting until the MIMIC arrives.

Mike

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Mike: The MIMIC allows you to position the MōVI's gimbal by, err..., mimicking the motion of the MIMIC's handlebars. So, just one example, if the MōVI operator controls the pan axis, the MIMIC operator moves the handlebar of the MIMIC to steer the tilt axis. Or, of course the MIMIC operator can control the tilt, pan, and roll axes just by steering the MIMIC's handlebar.

Thus the control of the camera is much more intuitive than using transmitter sticks (and I presume wheels, but others will have to comment on that).

Hope that helps.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.