/dist/images/branding/favicon

MIMIC and POV perspective filming

Discussion in 'MIMIC' started by Adrian Jackson, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Adrian Jackson

Adrian Jackson New Member

I'm working on a production where we are filming a cafe experience from one of the character's perspective. I was wondering whether the MIMIC would be effective for creating a more genuine point of view experience by rigging the mimic to someones head with a viewfinder.

Am I crazy? Would there be a simpler way to get a more effective result?

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

You're not crazy at all, that would be an excellent application of the tech. I heard an account from a couple of the folks at FF that said they had tested the Mimic tech on a pair of Zeiss Cinemizers. It's pretty simple, if you can figure out how to mount it all on there, but the technology is prime for this kind of shot.

While ultimately it may be simpler to use the Mimic controller in its default form factor, the shot would likely feel more "authentic" if it were actually controlling someone's POV.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I have a MIMIC awaiting some time to integrate it, and I had the same thought. The concern from what I've read about the MIMIC is that you have to be careful with gross movements, especially if you're controlling an airborne MōVI. I would worry that a head mounting would be very sensitive. But it's certainly worth a test. It could be fascinating if it works! :rolleyes:

4. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Yes, in fact, for aerial applications you should be careful. For ground-based operations the worst that would happen is you would get annoyed.

In fact, the beta firmware for the Movi Controller has an issue when switching Mimic mode on, it will "buck" to its last orientation, relative to where the Controller is oriented at the time you switch it on (I know that sentence makes little sense… just run with it).