/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mikrokopter beta firmware v2.09

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Holger emailed me that there is a new version of the firmware -- the most notable feature being that the GPX log file is written to the microSD card after every data row so that, in the case of a "sudden power loss" (which only seems to happen to me when the copter crashes :rolleyes:), there is no data lost. This marks a huge leap forward in terms of our ability to see the last two or three seconds before a crash and thus understand what is going on.

Also, the GPX file will now start being written as soon as the motor starts.

There are other good features too.

For those of us not freezing or being blown away in the USA, it would be nice to test this version! Portland, OR is not too cold, but the wind is crazy!

Here's the release details (the image in the posting did not reproduce so visit the original posting to see it):

Hello,​

we just realesed a public beta V2.09​

(KopterTool didn't change - use 2.08 )​

What's new:​

1. rotation rate for automaic yawing at waypoints and POI limited to 100°/sec​
    - that was quite fast in the older versions​

2. Baro measuring range changeover​
    - there is a small step every 100m while changing altitude​
    - this step is made faster now (0,1 sec instead of 0,7 sec)​
    - normally it isn't noticed​

3. The Baro altitude measurement was new calibrated -> the old value was about 5% too high​
    I was comparing it with GPS V3 altitudes - they seem to be quite accurate.​
    Also I simulated the pressure by an instrument.​
    User image​

I found out that the Baro-Altitudes are measured about 5% too high.​
    That means that the raw altitude value in the GPX logs should be devided by 21 to get the correct value.​
    It also effected the measurement in the LCD of the Graupner telemetry - the Altitude value was about 5% too high.​
    If Waypoints were used, the actual altitude was about 5% lower then expected.​

4. Data structure of "ExternalControl" changed. ​
    - nor the MK can be completely controlled via serial commands - including starting, calibrating,...​

5. Logging​
    - now the data is safed after every GPX-Block to the SD-card (Flush() )​
    - in case of Power-Off the data is safe. In the past versions up to 3 seconds could be lost in case of sudden power off.​
    - it was sucessfully tested up to 200ms logging ​
    - GPX-logging starts with motor start. In older Versions the logfile started after liftoff.​

Regards,​
    Holger​
    Original posting at http://forum.mikrokopter.de/topic-post528189.html#post528189
    Andy.

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

We will be giving it a go this week, however I'm a bit reluctant in testing the new SD-card "flush" feature at power loss.

Thanks for holding their feet to the fire on this one Andy!

Greetings,
    Adam

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I think it might be possible to bench test it, Adam. Given the GPX recording now starts at motor start, if we take the props off, power the motors on at 40% throttle (say) for 15 seconds and then yank the LiPo connector off, the test would be if you get a 15 second long GPX file.

I'm sure I'll get to do an inflight test of this feature in the future. Or someone else will. :rolleyes:

Andy.

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Sounds like a good set of improvements.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I agree - it's especially gratifying because FF forum users had an influence on the features added!

Andy.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Holger made a very good point for bench testing the new firmware:

You can better and more easily test the flight logging using MK Tool connected up to the MK boards:​
    1. Select the virtual display of the GPS time.​
    2. Open the OSD-screen and start a simulated flight. The logfile will be created in the "Simulate" directory (move the OSD-screen that you can still see the Time in the "LCD display" in the lower center of the screen).​
    3. Disconnect the power connector at any time and look at the last time in the LCD display.​
    4. Check the time of the last entry in the GPX file.​

If you have time -- do this experiment first with the 2.08 firmware to see the difference.​

Andy

7. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Good find, Steve. Thanks.

Andy.