/dist/images/branding/favicon

Matte Box and filtration for pro cinema lenses

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Brett Harrison, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

I may be working with Cookes soon, s4/i to be exact. There's no screw for circular filters, and the client wants a matte box.

What have people used for these two purposes?

2. Sam Donaghy Bell

Tape the filters to the front or get a very stripped down LMB-5 matte box. Otherwise do it all in post! lol

3. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

This is an issue that I think needs addressing. Currently my company is in the design and prototyping phase for a gimbal-friendly matte box. The main issue is having something that maintains a small profile for clearance issues, and that weighs next to nothing.

Brett Harrison likes this.
  4. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I use the Schneider filter clamp ( http://cinescopophilia.com/schneider-compact-nd-filter-kit-for-114mm-diameter-lenses/ ) that will attach 4 1/2 Round filters to a 114mm Diameter lens (Zeiss CP2's, Canon CP's etc) when using other lenses I will tape the filters on, which works, but is not ideal, especially when the DP is changing them often. I've also experimented with 4x5 trays from clip on matte boxes. If you remove the matte box you can sometimes still use the filter tray alone.

5. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

I find the Vocas MB215 a very good solution and pretty light weight at 215gms.

6. Ben Huddleston

I've shot with CP2's, s4's, and am currently shooting with Ultra Primes. Every time I shoot with a different diameter lens I've been L&D-ing one of the lens caps, cutting a hole in the exact center, hot glue in a step-down ring to 82mm, which I then thread in the few B+W NDs and the pola I still have from my Canon 16-35. No solution could be lighter other than gaff taping the filter straight on the lens. I've done that too. :)

Since this does vignette the wider lenses, I plan to implement this same system with larger screw-in filters. I'm thinking about 95mm ones, which seem to be widely available.

7. Brett Harrison

Ended up shooting with Duclos Leica for the most recent job, which took screw in 77s for ND and we used a Genus Matte Box. The small size of the Genus worked well given a fast enough smoothing setting and slow enough pan actions from the operator.

But I can't wait to see what kind of sexy carbon fibre MoVI-spesific matte box FF come up with. Wink wink.

8. Austin Glass

Have they stated it as something they are working on? Or you are just dropping suggestions in?

9. Brett Harrison

I miscommunicated there Austin, I just hope they will - if I were a betting man... given the other great cinema accessories they've come out with recently for the M10.

10. Austin Glass

I had assumed that is what you were suggesting ;)

We are still in the early stages, but we are experimenting/prototyping a CF matte box built for gimbals. Still unsure on a few things, but we have learned some promising things about it.