/dist/images/branding/favicon

massive roll drift

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Paul conto, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

The way I'm running the control, through a reg receiver, I didn't see anything on the input monitor and depending on what port I plug the wires I to the radian it seams to "auto" select mode co trol or slew control. So right now I have mode control on the roll and slew on the tilt. It works even though it doesn't acually say there selected on the config window.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I know this is going to sound silly, and apologies in advance for asking, but are you connecting up to each Radian independently?

It doesn't make sense that when you connect up to each Radian in turn and do a Read that you don't see data that matches to what you're describing.

Andy.

3. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I have the power for the BEC going into the roll radian in port 1.
    From the roll it goes to the tilt, out roll on port 3 in the tilt on port 3.
    From my receiver to the roll into port 2 for mode select
    From my receiver to the tilt into port 1 for slew control

I hope the be scribes better how things are setup

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

You need a mode channel set, same as the roll, and a slew channel to a TX channel so that you can control the tilt.

5. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

That's the strang thing even without a mode or slew selected on the radian control I still have mode control and slew control. Just depends on if I plug the receiver wire into port 1 or 2 depends on what I control.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Paul:
    OK, now I'm officially baffled. You still have mode and slew control without the Radians being programmed to give you control?

I think we need to simplify the problem down and test each part of the system.

Just pretend that the only Radian sensor you have is the tilt sensor. So connect up the Receiver to the tilt sensor, disconnect the tilt sensor from the roll/pan sensor, so it's just an isolate tilt sensor connector to just the receiver, and the tilt servo.

Connect up the Radian software via the USB cable to the tilt sensor, click on Connect, then click on Read to bring in the current tilt sensor settings. Would you be kind enough to take screen shots of the Diagnostic and Configuration windows and post those...

I presume you will see OFF for the Mode and Slew channels, but please test the transmitter switches that you have set up for controlling those and let us know whether you see a corresponding change in the Mode and Slew values on the screen in the Diagnostic window.

Then we'll go to the next step. :)
    Andy.

7. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Heres the config with onyl the tilt plugged in. Im also going to go a quick video to show it as well.
    *edit*
    Reyes to upload a video shot on my iPhone but it wouldn't upload. Either way even with ONLY tilt hooked up and slew not assigned to a Chanel I have slew control from a slider on my transmitter.

Attached Files:

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for doing that Paul.
    With just the Tilt sensor by itself, are you still seeing that same phenomenon that, even though you have Mode and Slew off (as the Diagnostic window shows, you still have Mode and Slew control?

Do you see the sliders for Mode and Slew moving left and right in the Diagnostic window?

Andy.

9. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Yes I still have slew control and the sliders move in responce to my Tx control

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Does the tilt servo also move?
    Sorry to bombard you with questions but I've not seen this phenomenon before.

Andy

11. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Yes I have full control of the tilt. I didn't do a flight test with just the tilt plugged in to see if it oscillates on yawing but I can do that tomorrow.

12. John Cunningham

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit late to this party, but I'll throw in a few ideas:

If the 'Mode' PWM pulse is not valid, the Radian will go into 'On' mode automatically so that you can control the axis with a single PWM channel. If the 'Slew' PWM input is not valid either then it will just stay at the initial fixed-position.

Hence if you put your Slew channel into the Mode port, it will then switch the mode as you move it through the off/fixed position/on bands.

Remember always to plug the PC connection into the Radian you are trying to check or configure - even if the RC control is being daisychained in from another Radian. Once you do this, you should be able to see the effect of any radio stick movements on the display.

If and axis changes with another axis, connect to them separately and ensure the slew channels are correct. You could (for example) have the tilt slew configured to be working from the wrong stick if you got confused with the PC connection during setup. If it is just a small movement, check the Radian is mounted squarely (ie at right angles to the other axis) and if it still is not right, verify the orientation as described in the sticky thread.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the insights, John. I didn't realize what would happen if the signals were invalid...

Andy.

14. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

did a shoot on saturday on with the changes made the roll issue is gone. Shot a Lamborghini for a music video and it worked flawlessly. Thank you for the help, ill post the small edit i made in the video section.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad to hear that all was well, Paul.

Andy.

16. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Thank you for all the help. Meeting with a director/studio owner today, Scott Hansen, to test out flying a black magic and epic red camera. Going to be a good day.