/dist/images/branding/favicon

Magnetic error

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gustav Raberg, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

I was on a job today and had magnetic error on takeoff. I had it once before when I calibrated inside the back of my van (that's understandable) but today I had it in an open space with the closest house 300 meters away and no electrical devices close. I never use carefree and occasionally PH.
    I just moved 20 meters to the side and took of from there but I was nervous the whole flight.

So my question is how nervous should I be? If I fly manual it shouldn't make any difference?

G

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Actually the compas does influence the copter even if your in manual mode. If you never use Carefree or use the POI waypoint flying you can disable the influence of the compass in MK tools. I don't remember what tab it's under but look for the Compass Effect and set it to 0. I have done this on mine and haven't had any issues in over 6 months. PH will still work the same.

Josh

3. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Just like Josh said, you can disable it no problem, but if you don't and a magnetic error occurs during manual flight the worst that can happen (by my experience) is that the multirotor will rotate to the left or right like 20-40ยบ until you correct it applying yaw. It's like an old RC Helicopter with an old gyro that you need to correct the rudder almost all the time, with a magnetic error it's just like that IN MANUAL MODE. I never trust CF and CH I only use as the last option. PH with a magnetic error creates a toilet bow effect, just switch PH Off and ON again.

4. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

Thank you guys.

I think I have it turned off. I have to check it in MKtool. If the worst scenario is that it turns into an old helicopter I'm good. Im use to that :)
    I like it old school:)

G