/dist/images/branding/favicon

Mad panning on Autotune

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Angus Benson-Blair, May 27, 2016.

1. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Any ideas what causes this? When we start Autotune, the gimbal starts immediately to pan wildly one way then the next. We have tried getting pan lined up with the centre point and this has helped a bit but still can go wild. Never had this prior to using the Akira firmware.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Angus have you tried doing a reset to all default settings and then doing Autotune?

3. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Reset all thing- in fact it appears to do this only if the gimbal is in 'live'. If we flick to takeoff/landing mode it seems fine.

4. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

That's just the autotune process as far as I understand. Ours does it everytime

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ben, I don't think that's normal for Autotune, even in Akira.

I've found the mad-panning is a symptom of your Pan motor Stiffness going super low, to 1 or 0. Usually when I see it freaking out like that, panning back and forth, I go to the Pan Stiffness setting and manually raise it to 100 or so. That should stop it. I've seen this several times, where the Stiffness values all go to zero or one. Not sure why the settings get lost, since we're pretty good about writing them to the Movi after we change them.

I go back and forth, but do more manual tuning than Autotuning these days. With heavier cameras or lighter cameras, I kind of get a sense of what the values should be and go from there. I've found the Autotuning to not be very accurate or repeatable, and the crew gets impatient waiting two minutes for an Autotune while we have to guard the camera from anyone touching it. Easier to dial in some numbers really quickly and get going.

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Angus, what are you mounting the Movi to? Handlebars or Multi-Rotor?

7. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I was just referring to when it pans quite quickly 90 degrees in both directions when you first start autotune.
    1. Run Autotune to tune the Pan, Tilt, and Roll Stiffness values of the MōVI. In order for Autotune to work, the camera should be completely free to move. It will pan 90o during the Autotune process.

8. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

It'll do that - just cancel and re-start the pan.

We see that occasionally but haven't determined what causes the issue.