/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Duane Bradley, May 7, 2016.

1. Duane Bradley

Duane Bradley Active Member

Done lots of reading today and haven't found the solution yet. Here are my symptoms.
    When I powered up today, I got 3 constant flashing lights. Knowing the issue was likely an unplugged cable, I found the pan motor (external plug by the status lights) unplugged and plugged it in. Turned on the M5, got lights, they went out for initialization, then nothing.

So I connected my tablet to see what was going on. Interesting that everything is working - status, compass, GPS, mode, drive and IMU are all good. The only issue I see is that my battery status is 0.0v. So I swapped batteries to a fresh one and same thing.

Through my trouble shooting I discovered something interesting. I unplugged the pan motor, got a drive error, but immediately got the voltage to show as full power. Of course once I have a drive error I can't clear it till powered done and when it reboots it shows 0 volts again. Totally stumped...

Any guesses?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ooof....how frustrating.
    Sounds almost like a firmware bug or some electronics failure, doesn't it, Duane.

You might try (and I'm grasping at straws here):
    1. Save the configuration file (more for later analysis than anything else).
    2. "Upgrade" the MōVI firmware again. If you're running Akira, fall back to 4.02.
    3. Then do an autotune and hand tweak the parameters -- I'd not restore from a previously saved configuration just in case something's mangled.

If that doesn't fix it (or perhaps even if it does), I'd open up a support ticket by emailing to support@freeflysystems.com.

Hope that helps.
    Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Duane Bradley

*Resolved*

The issue was that one of the pan motors cable had been popped out of the Drive 3 port on the inside of the board. After opening the top panel it was obvious that the one cable was not where it was supposed to be and by plugging it in everything returned to normal.

Duane

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Duane: Just in case this happens to someone else, any chance you could provide a little more detail as where where you found the loose cable? Under the removable cover on the gimbal control unit, was it?

Andy
    ----------
    Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Duane Bradley

Problem Resolved.

Symptoms;
    All three green lights flashing.
    App Gui indicates all green down the left side tabs.
    Voltage indicator says 0.0 Volts even when battery is fresh.

****SOLUTION*****

1. Disconnect the battery and then disconnect the cable from the top right of the MCU.

2. Using a 1.5mm hex driver, remove the 4 screws that hold on the cover.

3. Carefully remove the top cover.

4. Verify that all three connectors are properly seated. Use the hex driver to press them in, if need be. Check the wires above the connectors for any damage.

5. Replace the cover you removed in step 3, taking care not to pinch any wires.

6. Plug the cable back in that you disconnected in step 1.

7. Plug the battery back in and turn on the MōVI.

Ozkan Erden likes this.
  6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for posting that, Duane (and congrats on fixing your M5!)

Andy

7. torsteinstokkan

torsteinstokkan New Member

I have kind of the same problem with my M5.

I have checked the cables (all three on top plate and all three on bottom plate), they are connected, also checked the cables on the motors.
    I have tried to install firmware 4.0.2 and 5.0 BETA.

In the 5.0 beta the errors is : boot: "drive fail", sats: "0", drive: "error"
    the annoying thing is that when I install the 4.0,2 firmware the only error is BATT: "0.0V" and everything else is fine.

Any suggestions to what I can try?

8. Duane Bradley

Sounds like you've checked all the things suggested for this error. I'd recommend contacting support@freeflysystems.com . Typically they will be able to start the support ticket quickly with you.