/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 goes limp in the air. Akira or something else?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Andy Post, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

Was out flying today, testing the new Akira Beta firmware. Seems to better remove small wiggles AND the app is much easier to read in the bright sun. Don't know if that bugged anyone else.

But on our 7th set of flight batteries, the gimbal suddenly died. Just went limp. My battery was down to about 30% so I put a fresh one on. The M5 snapped to level, ready to fly, worked for a minute or so, then went limp and unresponsive again.

Can't see the firmware working for an hour then stopping so it's likely a hardware issue. But...I haven't been able to reproduce in the shop.

Looking for loose connections. Barring that, if any of you have had similar issues and can share what you found as the cause I'd be most appreciative.

2. SCOTT HESS

SCOTT HESS New Member

Was making minor adjustments on tuning flights and the gimbal started going nuts every time I switched on the transmitter, then it would go limp. I'd reboot no problem, then switch on the tx, same thing. After a dozen tries I finally downgraded to 4.02, everything back to normal. Got back to the shop, went back to 5, now everything is working again. Have no clue.

3. Andy Post

Andy Post Member

I'm suspicion is that it just came unplugged. I've got a little switch board I made so I don't have to go all over the place looking for on/off buttons. But it looks very much like in the first instance it re-engaged. But if it lost power, there's no way it would reboot and level itself in a few seconds. Trying to look at the footage to see if it was that or just an encouraging flop.

Ah..the little lies we tell ourselves.

4. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

Make sure you let freefly know of the issue so they can start work on it a little harder if reports of this are happening. I was just about to upgrade last night, but ran out of time doing other things. I will wait a little more till more positive reports come out.

-Cody

5. Martin Osborne

I have been experiencing this, even before the new firmware. Just trying to gather my notes before I email freefly

6. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

Let us know. I avoided the firmware update this week.

-Cody

7. Andrew Griffiths

We rolled back to the old version. V5 created shakes on the pan and we had to reduce stiffness from 130 to 30. We'd get unpredictable vibrations even after increasing the gyro settings and stabilisation when flying was nowhere near as good. Never had a complete shutdown though. Just ruined footage.