/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5+FF rods+redrock Micro FF+voigtlander 17mm=impossible

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by adam chesbrough, May 7, 2014.

1. adam chesbrough

adam chesbrough New Member

So I am trying to get this thing to work with the voigtlander 17mm and it doesn't seem like it is going to go. The issue is that the focus ring is close to the camera and the aperture ring is farther from the camera. Therefore the camera is always front heavy. I have even placed the FF rod inverted. As you can see in the poorly photographed image the camera unit can't slide far enough back to balance. I am wondering if I have thought of everything and if I either have to get a rod that mounts on the camera cage or if I should just throw out this voigtlander because they have now made me unable to use 2 gimbals because of weight and now this BS. Would love some ideas and advice. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Have you tried mounting the motor on the opposite side of the lens so the focus gear is flipped on the motor body?

3. adam chesbrough

Thanks for the reply. I have tried reversing the FF mount and the balance isn't even close (see attached). That being said I am having the hardest time balancing this unit without the FF. It is far under the 5lbs limit (3.87lbs). I have tried moving around all orientation points. I tested with the Miii and 50mm and was able to get that to balance no problem. That being said, it would help if the MOVI FF rod adaptor was both wider and allowed you to move the mounting points farther from the baseplate (I am going to B&H now to try and get something that will allow it to sit further from baseplate)

The issue could be: The unit is relatively balanced when just sitting there but when I tilt up to test that orientation it flops right back...and visa versa. Here is a video clip of what is happening: http://youtu.be/2TFVH3aeut8 I must be doing something wrong because this seems like a pretty standard setup for a MOVI M5 and I know that you need to use a cage with a BMPCC. Not sure why this is SOOO much harder to balance (seemingly impossible) vs the mark iii. That being said I am comfident that after someone at MOVI sees the action the camera makes you could offer some advice on what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam did you adjust the vertical side bars as shown in the balancing videos? They may need to slide up or down in order to get full tilt balance. Tilt is a combination of front to back movement and then the vertical adjustment.

Chris Harrison likes this.
  5. adam chesbrough

I was adjusting the up and down vertical sidebars. I guess I just need to keep trying different combinations until the unit feels "light" on the gimbal as it does with the mark iii. I am considering finding a mounting solution that I can attach to the body of the BMPCC so I can put a rod on that instead; is that a solution that you have heard of in the past? At least that will allow me to move the camera within the MOVI cage

6. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Adam,

Not sure if this helps, but you can reverse the side the gear is on on the motor. See Page 12 of our Manual, or the image below.

Should keep your balance a bit more central.
    Flipping_Gear.jpg

Chris Harrison likes this.
  7. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Add some weight to the rear of the camera to achieve balance, that should do the trick to achieve balance.