/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 Battery Maintenance - Any Solutions?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Brandon Fullmer, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Brandon Fullmer

Brandon Fullmer New Member

I've searched high and dry (including this forum) for a couple of hours on a recommended solution for maintaining the battery aux pack for the M5 which is the 1.3Ah 14.8V 4S. I would very much like to keep my battery packs for a long time but to do that, I have to store them at the recommended 3.8V or approx 50%. I'm not an electrical engineer but I am a one man band video producer. Does anyone have a simple solution to 1. Balance and maintain, 2. Decharge my Freefly M5 battery correctly? I've looked at a dozen balancers, minders, and gizmos with light bulbs on them but not sure they will work with or would even ruin my M5 batteries. Please help.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

This is the charger I've used with my M15 batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/Combo-Special-Tenergy-Balance-Charger/dp/B00466PKE0/

It'll charge, balance, and put the batteries in storage charge for you. Takes just a little getting used to, but easy once you know the menu.

I usually charge my batteries at 3A (this charger will do it faster at 5A, but the Freefly chargers do 3A, so that's what I stuck with). I also find it handy to have a LiPo checker\tester. Amazon has a bunch of options for those, too.

3. Brandon Fullmer

That's perfect! The best Photos and schematic of a product that I've seen yet and you've sent me right to it! It also shows that it comes with that most important "JST" connection needed to work with my batteries and provides all the correct 4S settings, balance charge and storage. Thanks a ton!

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You're welcome. You can even get rid of that giant dongle of different plugs that it comes with and use the JST-to-banana plug that came with your Freefly charger. You don't need all those plugs with you all the time.

5. Brandon Fullmer

Excellent tip. Again thanks. All the best!