/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 and Steadicam Vest

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Nicolas T, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Nicolas T

Nicolas T Member

I tried out for the first time using the M5 inverted mounted to a custom post built on the Steadicam Vest to see how well this would work for filming. I tried both using the remote to pan and tilt the head as well as Majestic mode.

The custom post consists of a 3/8 bolt that is attached to a Really Right Stuff clamp. The M5 is inverted as it cannot really hang under the arm. I had a handle coming off the clamp to allow me to hold the position of the camera. I will post photos when I have some time.

In Majestic mode there is no easy way to tilt the camera. This gives you really only one option and that is to set the Majestic mode to allow for manual pointing of the camera.

Using the remote gives far more flexibility but it does take some getting used to.

In general I found it to be far less flexible in my ability to move around and move the camera then I would if I had it hand held. It did take off the weight of holding the camera but my right arm still got tired keeping the camera in position. Overall it was not as easy to move or manipulate. I may end up selling the vest as it just won't be that useful to me. The footage did come out smooth but I was walking much slower then I might have hand held.