/dist/images/branding/favicon

M15 with mount Slip Rings?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Dan Wilson, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

Hello, new here. Just wanted to see if there's anyone out there that has already done this? (Pan section)

Without going into too much detail(don't think I'm allowed too) I have a broadcast camera mounted on the M15 which is mounted on the Tero.
    Currently the main problem we are having is powering the camera. We have a big V-Lock battery mounted on the back of the tero with a cable coiled on the cheese plate going up routed through the Movi frame. Which has worked fine so far, but with an event coming up where we will be doing lots of fast paced driving and turning around it's near impossible to keep up with the 'status' of the coil.
    This would be Pan section only by the way, cable is routed nicely otherwise. And battery mounted on the Movi is NOT an option, bloody things top heavy enough!

So anybody have experience with this type of modification (pictures maybe) or any other solutions?
    I was thinking a modified(custom) toad + toad in the hole mount with a hole through the center.

Thanks

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Dan,

here a pic of my broadcast setup, featuring a Grass Valley compact camera, with Fujinon Zoom and Link Transmitter. It worked perfect on some really big german live TV shows.

And a short Teaser having a similar setup on a Tero-Mockup, this time with the Sony F55 and the same HD Transmitter.

I think slip rings would be quite complicated and require a major hack on the M-15. We used a Bebob V-75 battery and managed to get about 75 minutes out of it (safe) and had even up to 90 minutes, powering everything (cam, focus and Link)

Best,

Wolf

2015-10-10 12.17.48.jpg 2015-10-10 12.16.41.jpg

4. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

Cool, nice stuff! That setup must be extremely heavy on a fig rig!?

Interesting you have an ENG lens on there too, we are restricted to a compact with separate motors. Weight and balancing issues plus camera body size has forced us to do it.
    Battery on the camera is a neat touch too, but that wouldn't work for us, we have the Movi on the iso mount on the tero so adding more weight is going to cause some… rolling over, in the corners! Plus we have no room left on the camera to stick stuff. I see you've got a custom mount on your Tero, good if you're on a smooth floor.

I agree slip rings would require some 'modification' but what we are using it for the movi is going to be spinning a lot so a wired connection will be difficult to keep up with.

Danke!

5. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi Dan,

no it´s not that heavy, about 9 kg.. The GV cam is really light...

I made a new mount for my M-15 for car shots and the Tero, made with 6 wire mounts, see some pics of the first prototype. It´s good for 12 kg payload and the center of gravity is quite low, so the rolling over is no issue any more….
    2016-01-22 10.58.46.jpg 2016-01-22 10.58.37.jpg

6. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

That looks really good, I imagine that mount is much more stable than the standard cheese plate. Presumably mounted on your custom mount on the Tero.

Really interesting though, thanks for sharing!

7. Tom Crowley

Tom Crowley New Member

Hello

i thought i'd chip in as i've been looking into it for a similar application. for vibration plates there is a guy called Dale who's is making some nice ones, check out http://www.dalesgear.com/vibration-isolators/
    i've been toying with the idea of purchasing one of these and 3d printing a casing for it. the internal diameter is 60mm so this could fit over the toad adaptor and then you could run power to the slip ring.
    http://slipring.buy.splicd.com/pz68...ncake-slip-ring-for-cctv-pan-tilt-camera.html