/dist/images/branding/favicon

M15 airborn?

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Dave Ketelhut, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

has anyone had the chance to fly the M15 yet? it looks like the landing gear to the m10 wont be long enough to prevent the cage from hitting the ground. has anyone done it yet?

Thanks

2. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

WE are flying it for 6 months now without any problems.
    Even with some crazy FIZ with RED and zoom pl lense.
    But extra weight off the m15 has to be taken in to the account. Since payload is always limited and extra 2 pounds or 3 makes it from safe to not safe flying.

3. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

i figured we would need to account for at least two extra pounds with our rig. at the moment we will be able to move to 18" props with our gryphon x8 and u7 420 kv motors. this "mathematically" should give us enough thrust to carry the m15 and our camera payload but we will have to test it out and see.

i am assuming you guys are running your own retractable landing gear with your setup. do you know if the stock movi landing gear will work?

4. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

I would highly recommend not flying the M15.

Been testing some larger motor rigs and the sync speeds become your issue. I have seen FAR too many large motor rigs flip or crash due to one motor going out of sync in light winds, on every system (MK DJI Herkulese etc. I have been testing MK). Another issue is the larger rotational mass of the gimbal puts a lot more stress on the system if your doing fast camera moves or need to move the rig rapidly, resulting in higher current spikes which could blow/damage an ESC and cause a crash/flip. Lastly, you are putting a lot more stress on the air frame and motors doing this, resulting in higher maintenance costs over time and higher chances a point of failure coping up.

If you need to fly a larger camera it is more then likely you have the budget to hire a manned heli. I have YET to run into a client who thinks they need an alexa in the air, but are floored with the quality of a Black magic 4k, Red Dragon *carbon* or A7s/GH4 footage. This all fly's great on an M5/10, CS HL hex or Octo and is tested/safe.

5. Daniell P. Ashby

Daniell P. Ashby New Member

The m10 mr kit works for the m15!

6. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Yeah. Been flying the M15 for a couple of weeks now. Mostly with the Epic. Been flying in some pretty strong autumn winds here in the UK and it still stays super smooth. Having the second base plate keeps it super rigid and locked in. Its great using the second battery to power the HD link too

7. Raymont Stüssi

Raymont Stüssi New Member

Hi
    are the M15 gimbal motors the same like the M10, or are the stronger?

Raymont, oversees

8. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

we flew ours for the past couple weeks now with the red dragon. the footage is looking good, having the camera captured on the top and bottom made a big difference with balancing. out m10 tilt could go out of balance on its own or just touching the camera. m15 is more sturdy for sure. however the motors all seem to be the same size and dont seem any more powerful which is a bummer...

9. Raymont Stüssi

Raymont Stüssi New Member

Thank you Dave, hmmm... so i`m wondering what`s three grand worth between m10 and m15, i only see couple parts (tubes)
    as a difference. Please, coud you show me a comparison (maybe a link) of thouse two?

thanks

10. Dave Ketelhut

Dave Ketelhut Member

basically all the changes have been made to the frame of the gimbal. the motors and the electronics appear to be all the same, i could be wrong but all the motors are the same size.

i took a couple pictures with my phone so sorry for the crappy quality.
    setup:
    Red epic dragon
    Teradek bolt pro 2000
    heden fallow focus
    movi controller

Attached Files: