/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10, power and video distro

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Erich Roland, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Our solution for multi-camera usage and variety of needs. One big power connector, one Aks power lead for follow focus, and one SDI lead. Needed to get all these cables routed through the frame and not flying loose or getting in the way of the Gimble movements. Connect or adapt from the loose end, other wise when not used tie it down and leave it alone. Ive run out of space through the gimble joint but would have liked to run an hdmi through also. (adding pics if I can)

YU Chenkang likes this.
  2. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

few pics

Attached Files:

3. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Hey Erich,
    I'm interested to see what you did here. I'm a big fan of harnessing cables very neatly. I can't see your photos though. When they load, they are so zoomed in like 500%. Not sure if there is anything you can do on your end.

4. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

hi James, the pics open for me the way I framed them. Its fairly tight but you should be able to see where you are on the movi frame. if its still a prob, send my your email and I will attached.

5. Thorsten Thielow

Thorsten Thielow New Member

Hi, i am interested in the power Cable you used to power Follow Focus. Thanks!

6. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

7. Thorsten Thielow

Thorsten Thielow New Member

Thanks a lot Erich!

8. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Erich, what about that yellow connector? I don't think I've ever seen one of those before. What do you use it for?

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

James that looks like another connector type called an XT-60.

10. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

OK. Cool. What the heck does that connect to?

11. don lee

don lee Member

Hi Erich, are you powering the Movi itself from an AB battery as you discussed? Lotsa back and forth whether this will work, thanks

12. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Don, Mostly we use Anton Bauer type mounts with dionic batteries of differing amperage capacities depending on needs and weight. Getting the weight OFF the camera is important to me then I have more flexibility with lenses choices, etc. In Another thread "powering options when weight is an issue" I talked about getting the batteries off the movi, and this wiring harness makes this possible with the least amount of hassel and drag on the motor mechanisims. Or I can mount the AB up on the top bar and still have the advantage of fast changing one battery for most of the power needs, and not having to dig out a camera battery off the camera while likely affecting the balance to do so.

Having been a Steadicam operator for over 20 years I'm particularly sensitive to when a loose cable effects balancing so I'm all over the issue of how to run cables to where they need to be to not effect the motion of the unit. And now I have the ability to plug in whatever adapter cable I need for the camera power or accessory for the job or the shot, and the wiring through the unit is done, ready for (almost) anything.... although hdmi is still a bit of a pain and only needed for the dreaded dslr job. But even though I don't have room through the pivot point hole to put an hdmi, I can still run it along the same path and just jump over the elbow joint.

Kyler Zee likes this.
  13. don lee

don lee Member

Erich, Chris Albert and I saw your earlier post and wanted to duplicate the AB belt setup but were told it wouldn't work
    (http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/moving-away-from-lipos.2960/page-2) with the Dionic 90.
    Are you using the AB 120 for the camera power ? and also, can your guys make up another couple of harnesses we can buy from
    your rental group?
    As an old dude, I totally agree getting the weight below your waist is critical.

14. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Don, your source is correct. I had tested with a lite duty camera, and when I just hooked up a power heavy Epic and turned everything on, the movi lights went from 3 to one. I'm going to build a cable to get the movi batt off the rig, and run it down to where the Dionic lives on a belt. My arms get tired quickly and I need the option to get all batteries off the rig to extend operating time.

15. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

James, yes its the XT-60 as Gary points out. Its a hobby style connector that's cheap and very easy to use and solder. The XT-60 is very heavy duty compared to a JST and can use for heavier amperage application like an Epic or multiple devices. Its the P-tap of the Hobby world, but not nearly as clunky and hard to build like P-tap's are.

16. don lee

don lee Member

OK thanks much for the info, really would like to avoid the LiPos altogether but doesn't seem possible just now.

17. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Don, The Movi and Wireless was working fine until I turn on the Epic, so it seems amperage that's lacking. I will try a bigger battery.

18. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Some fresh pics of wiring for Epic/Scarlett. The cable rats-nest can really get out of hand, but I'm happy with how this is turning out. The 90 degree power-in was important, small RT receiver is awesome.... getting the cables power and video tucked into the frame is essential. Having the AB battery on my belt works like a champ and runs everything but the movi with its small battery. Next is an alternate cable combo to the belt that carry's an extra lead to get the movi batt on my hip also. Add a Carbon Dragon (due any day) and this set up will be the perfect for Red Epic work.

Attached Files:

19. don lee

don lee Member

Erich, that's really nice, thanks for sharing. i am realizing how crucial this weight issue is, for our documentary style, we really need to shoot eye level , which means you need to hold it quite high since the camera is underslung from the handles. I imagine a lot of your steady cam work is eye level as well, but the arm takes the weight. Have you tried using the MoVi with an Easy-rig? thanks

20. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Ive played with an easy rig, it does help take the weight. There are some issues but keeping it up at eye level would help a lot with easy rig. The heavier model we carry needs a longer arm to get the rig further away from operator, and I have to try and sort that possibility.