/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10 can carry 12lbs?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Trevor Rogers, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

I could be wrong but I remember someone saying the M10 can actually carry 12lbs? Because they beefed it up just before it was released... Well my question is if it can carry 12lbs does that mean the M15 can carry more then 15lbs? If so how much more? Just trying to make up my mind on this upgrade. I know it will allow for the bigger body cameras. But I just want to know how much weight it can hold..

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

The whole weight limitation thing is tricky. Officially, the M10 is rated for 12 pounds, and the M15 is rated for 15.

That said, I've had 20 pounds on the M10 before without issue. As long as you balance well, the motors don't have to work as hard as it may seem. You won't do any whip pans with those circumstances.

Now, by all accounts, the M15 uses the same motors as the M10. The other hardware is a lot beefier, but the motors appear to be the same.

I think that Freefly are conservative in their figures, because it's wise to under promise and over deliver than the other way around. That said, I don't recommend stressing out your rig unless you really know what you're doing. A heavier-than-prescribed rig has to be handled differently.

3. Kurt Wallrath

Kurt Wallrath Member

Hey Trevor, great question. I find the MoVI M10 really starts to have problems at 12lbs and more. Yes, you can put more than 12lbs on it but the batteries aren't going to last as long and balancing becomes very time consuming on set. Your center of gravity (CG) becomes a razor thin line. I've heard as much as 42lbs has been on an M10 before but you couldn't tilt it at all.

I haven't used the M15 yet so I can't say how it does when the weight of the rig nears 15lbs.

4. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

42lbs! holy Falling Rocks batman! lol Yeah I am just bummed because I lost a very high up job for a feature shooting now with emily blunt because the m10 doesn't hold the Alexia m with a master prime.. Too bad the M15 wasn't out 1 month ago.. Anyways It would be interesting to see if I could get the alexia m with a master prime to work on a m15. Even then they might have to loose the master prime and go with a smaller lens.

5. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Alexa.jpg Alxea.jpg Hi Trevor,

i'm currently using the Alexa M on my M-10 with old highspeed standard 35 mm primes and an Mb-5 Mattebox with two filters.

I had to do some small modifications to the rig, as lengthen some tubes, but no structural changes as taking glued parts apart.

I also had to do a small hack to the optical cable, as seen in the picture.

Best,

Wolf

6. Trevor Rogers

Trevor Rogers Member

So basically you made a m15 before they came out? are you going to do the upgrade then? haha

7. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

You could say so, but very basically. ;-). And yes, i will upgrade...

Best, Wolf

8. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

I think the motors from M5 to M10 to M15 are all the same. The only thing being the frame size (camera craddle) and the voltage of the batteries. The M5 3s lipo M10 4s and probably the M15 6s....it makes sense.

9. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

The M15 uses the same 4s battery as the M10. I can't speak to the motors between the M5 and the M10, though.