/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI M5 announced: $4,995

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Steve Maller, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I didn't see any discussion of this, but I'm impressed! Says they're expecting a Q4 release (Oct-Dec). Accepting pre-orders with a $500 deposit. Appears to be (as promised) a scaled-down version of the M10, capable of flying with a 5D Mark III, D800, or smaller cameras (no REDs, Cinema EOS, etc.). Not clear exactly what'd be required to turn this into a Cinestar gimbal, but I'm sure that'll get sorted out.

http://www.movirig.com/products/movi-m5-deposit

I just submitted my pre-order, and my order number is A61EF03F, which, assuming that's a hexadecimal number, equates to 2,787,045,439 in base 10. However, I remain cautiously optimistic about being in the first batch. :D

Josh Rottman likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Steve Maller

Not to mention how much money that represents at $500 each pre-order.

4. MikeLaw

MikeLaw New Member

I ordered the M5 today. I think the Blackmagic Cinema Camera could fit on it, especially the MFT version. The MFT version weighs 3.3 pounds, and the EF version weighs 3.8. A typical SSD weighs between 3-5 ounces. If the Movi batteries can power the camera, then you get a light lens and add the lightweight Redrock wireless torque system, and it could work. What do you think?

5. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

I like the feel of things moving forward. I am very optimistic about the MōVI, so much so, I have ordered both the M10 and M5.
    I've got a feeling I'm not alone.
    Now, for the M20...:)

6. Steve Maller

That could be a bit of a stretch. I am not sure I'd take that chance. If you're going for that camera, you may want a follow focus, zoom, or other accessory plus a lens that'd put the M5 at the very edge of its stated capacity. Never good to assume peak performance at the edge of something's specs.

7. Carey Lee Coffey

I don't see the point of getting both the M10 and the M05... the M10 will fly every camera that the M05 will fly.

8. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Two reasons, the M10 is physically a bigger rig so the M5 will be a better option for tight spaces like inside a car or for that full sprint run chasing an actor or animal. The second reason would be backup. Downtime on a production is not a good thing, if the M10 has issues, (not machanical because Freefly would not allow that :) ), like being dropped in the water or off a mountain, the M5 could be a lifesaver.

9. Carey Lee Coffey

The M05 can't handle a heavier camera set up so it's apples and oranges. You're not going to shoot your car interiors with a different camera than the one used on the rest of the production, nor are you going to use a different/lighter camera as a back up if your M10 goes down. You're going to rent another M10. The M05 would be useful for indie projects shooting on a DSLR or Pocket Cam... can't see it being used as a back up to an M10.

10. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Your not thinking outside the box. The great thing about the MoVI is being able to creating shots that were not possible before and speeding up production by cutting down setup time.

We use different cameras all the time, a 5D in the cockpit of a plane or a GoPro as a crash cam, it's about getting the shot.

11. Carey Lee Coffey

We weren't talking about airplanes and crash cams... We were talking about using it in a car scene or as a back-up to your M10/A cam if your M10 goes down.

12. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

The point is about having options, if the M10 doesn't work for a location and the M5 does, use it, get the shot why limit yourself?

The M5 as backup would be to "save the shoot" situation not a replacement for the M10.

I like having options.

13. Phil Macdonald

We have also actually put pre-orders on both M10 and M5, partly thought because the deposit on the M5 is refundable. We wouldn't necessarily look at it that the M5 is a backup although I see your point. I think its more that it offers options to the end user. If they are shooting a short film or a corporate on DSLR then we have a decent option for that that we can charge a lower rate for than if we were using the M10. It also frees up our M10 for a different, 'higher budget' job on a feature shooting on say the Epic.

Everything within this industry these days is about being smart with the options you have available to you. Its exciting to see the future either way...Definitely open to peoples opinions and thoughts on the M5 and the comparison they see to the M10.

Do you think the M5 will be more of an owner operator tool with the M10 reserved more as a rental item for higher end shoots with bigger payloads. Also what sort of rental rates are you guys expecting on the M10? I am curious....

Phil

mitchell oates likes this.
  14. Laza Randria

Laza Randria New Member

what about the gimbal's weight, cause I'm planning to put the M5 on my CS6

15. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Laza what camera are you planning to carry? The gimbal should be about the same or slightly higher than the weight of the current 3axis gimbal with Radians.

16. Laza Randria

Laza Randria New Member

I'm planning to put a Canon 5d2 and 5d3. Or my Sony cx760

17. Sean Carter

Sean Carter New Member

Try the halo 2000 from photohigher,
    They have some amazing stuff on their face book page.

18. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Any further insight on M5 vs. MR5 - will we be able to pick which version we want? Will an adapter be sold separately? Dual Operator use?

19. Elliott Dunwody

Elliott Dunwody New Member

Steve Maller likes this.
  20. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello,

We found that our MR gimbal is about one pound (~450gr.) heavier then the Cinestar 3-axis servo gimbal with Radian. Although no official specs. have been released about the weight of the M5, the outlook is good.

Greetings,
    Adam