/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI FAQ's

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Gary Haynes, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Andy

www.magliner.com B&H has them. Multicart model is pretty popular with film and video guys. Lots of options.

2. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

You can also sometimes find them locally at moving supply houses. The B&H, Nalpak and Magliner sites have configurations and options that appeal to production folks- like felt lined shelves and baby spud mounts for installing monitors and other accessories. Backstage Equipment also has some seriously heavy duty carts with a Magliner body and expanded shelves, full pneumatic tire sets, etc. Nice stuff but very expensive. The cart in that pic, Andy, is a Magliner senior with a top shelf. We then mount the LZ to it.

nick

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Andy, this is the cart I use. It is a veritable transformer, and has lasted me about 8 years of constant use. I have the one with the larger wheels, as I'm on grass and dirt a lot. I use it for my photo and video gear, but not for the copter (typically). I'd love to rig something like what Gary showed above. I like that idea!

http://amzn.com/B003AYLJXU

[​IMG]

Colin Snow likes this.
  4. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Steve, I use that same cart for travel. A lifesaver. They make shelves for it too, btw.

nick

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jeez, Steve/Gary/Nick: That cart looks like it does everything from being a combination bar, fireplace, and stereo to stampeding a herd of yaks! :)
    Thanks!

Andy..

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

It he only thing missing is the beer tap ala The one in Rodney Dangerfields golf bag.

7. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, it's not as cool as a beer tap but they do offer a beverage holder. All beers are consumed after wrap only, of course. :D

[​IMG]

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The MoVI update announcement

MōVI M10 Update | M5 Pre-Order

July 14, 2013

MōVI UPDATE
    I want to say thanks to all of you who have pre-ordered MōVI M10 and MōVI MR. Going into NAB, we thought that a very select (techie) demographic would be excited about the MōVI. Never did we expect that it would capture the interest of the general filmmaker community. It really was an amazing feeling to work so intensely on developing this product for the last 2 years and have it receive such a warm welcome. I wanted to give an update to our customers and let them know where we are in production. For those of you who don't know much about Freefly, I also wanted to give you an idea of who we are as a company.

MōVI M10 / MR
    We listened closely to the feedback you have given. Since the launch at NAB, our engineering team has been hard at work incorporating changes to the MōVI based on the extensive and valuable feedback we have received. To that end, we have made the following changes to the M10 and MR:
    • Adjusting the balance of the camera can now be done without tools.
    • Widened the camera tray to 200mm width. This means a RED EPIC with side handle can now comfortably fit and balance.
    • Lengthened the camera tray dimensions to allow for larger camera / lens combinations.
    • Improved the rigidity to accommodate larger payloads. Many customers we heard from wanted the ability to run slightly larger camera packages than we showed at NAB and Cine Gear. We listened and made the necessary changes to allow this to happen.
    • Revised the process for converting an M10 to MR. Now the changeover can be done in less than 5 minutes. The M10 and MR are now identical platforms with the MR having the landing gear legs for the multirotor.

MōVI DELIVERY
    The MōVI M10 and MR are in full production now. The first production models will ship August 15th. There are a lot of pieces that need to come together to make this happen and the team here is dedicated to hitting our estimated delivery dates. We will keep you all informed if anything changes. The production model is a big improvement in both usability and performance when compared to earlier versions. We are excited to start shipping the final product and see what kind of innovative and unique uses you dream up!

M10 customers will be notified 2 weeks prior to their unit being ready to ship. We anticipate that it will take 2 months to fulfill all pre-orders.

MōVI M5 PRE-ORDER

Back at NAB 2013, we announced that the smaller sibling to the M10 would be released shortly after the M10 and at a lower price point. We are excited to announce that the MōVI M5 will be priced at 4,995.00 USD and will be shipping in the 4th quarter of 2013.

The MōVI M5 draws on the advanced stabilization technology developed for the MōVI M10 allowing for amazingly smooth footage in even the most demanding situations. The compact form factor and lightweight nature of the MōVI M5 allows camera movement that would be impossible in the past. With the release of the MōVI M5, Freefly aims to bring big budget camera moves to a wider range of productions. To find out more and place pre-orders, visit www.freeflysystems.com andwww.movirig.com.

WHERE WE CAME FROM AND WHERE WE ARE HEADED

FREEFLY CINEMA

It all started with Freefly Cinema, a company that specializes in low altitude filming from remote control helicopters. From the beginning, we were obsessed with interesting ways to move the camera. Early on, this meant strapping a camera to a big single rotor remote helicopter. Initially, we used off the shelf helicopters and camera mounts, but eventually hit a wall where the technology was inhibiting our creativity. We went back to the lab with the notion of capturing perfect footage from a remote helicopter. This was the driving force in creating the MōVI system that debuted at NAB. After developing some new aircraft and camera stabilizers, we created a sister company called Freefly Systems. Freefly Cinema remains a service based business with teams of pilots and camera operators working on projects around the world. Take a look at some of the interesting projects Freefly Cinema has been fortunate enough to work on here: http://goo.gl/8cnVN as well as some behind the scenes action here http://goo.gl/3CJJ6

FREEFLY SYSTEMS

Having developed some cutting edge products for Freefly Cinema's use, it was time to let them out into the world. People had been asking for many years to buy our gear, but the early systems were so complex and difficult to maintain that we did not think the average customer would be successful in using them. The advent of multi rotor helicopters changed everything. The multi rotor systems are so simple and easy to maintain that we made them available to the public with the CineStar. Since its launch 2 years ago, the CineStar line of multi rotors has been used by customers worldwide to capture amazing low level aerial footage. See the CineStar in action here: http://goo.gl/Djm6D
    Freefly Cinema and Freefly Systems now co-exist in the same building and the relationship is symbiotic. Products developed by Freefly Systems are immediately tested in the field by Freefly Cinema. Real world feedback flows from Freefly Cinema teams using the products on sets and productions to the engineering team to ensure that the final products are robust, reliable and set the industry standard.

THE FUTURE
    Freefly has been fortunate enough to attract the industry's brightest engineers and bring them together with talented cinematographers. This synthesis of art and technology drives the company forward. Engineers discuss shot framing and composition while cinematographers give the CNC Mill a try. The cross pollination allows us to create better products that fit real world customer needs. We plan on continuing to develop innovative solutions for cinema professionals. Our unique history allows us to approach the problems the industry faces from a completely different perspective.
    Thanks again for the support and we look forward to getting the MōVI into your hands.

Tabb Firchau

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

And some more info.

Freefly Systems to Begin Shipping MōVI M10 on August 15th and Announces Pre-Orders for MōVI M5
    Production of breakthrough gyro stabilized handheld camera rig ahead of schedule
    [​IMG]'
    SEATTLE, WA - JULY 15, 2013 - Freefly Systems is pleased to announce that the award-winning MōVI M10 camera stabilizer will begin shipping to customers starting August 15th for $14,995. The company will also start taking pre-orders for its new smaller camera stabilizer, MōVI M5, which supports cameras up to 5 lbs. (2.3kg).

[​IMG]
    Since its April introduction, MōVI M10 has been used on over a dozen film, television, and commercial productions and has garnered an incredible amount of praise from high-end filmmakers such as JJ Abrams, Alfonso Cuaron, ASC cinematographers, and numerous independent filmmakers.
    “We’ve been hard at work at Freefly since the launch of MōVI at NAB, incorporating all of the feedback from our field tests with filmmakers and camera operators, says Freefly’s co-founder Tabb Firchau. Such production model refinements to the MōVI M10 include: (1) widening the camera tray to better accommodate larger camera packages, including the Canon C300 and C500, the RED EPIC with side handle, the Canon EOS 1DC, and the Blackmagic Cinema Camera; (2) new ability to run heavier camera packages than we showed at NAB – now up to 12 lbs/5.4 kg; and (3) new feature to adjust and balance the camera largely without tools.”
    “I’m completely sold on the MōVI,” states cinematographer Alex Buono, known for his Film Unit work for Saturday Night Live (SNL). He recently had a chance to try out the MōVI on set. “It’s ability to smoothly pan, tilt or roll remotely while it’s being operated allows me the ability to create camera moves that are unlike anything I’ve ever seen and yet are incredibly easy to execute,” says Buono.
    For a key shot, the MōVI operator simply held the top handle down at arm’s length aimed behind him and ran straight forward, “nolooking” the shot, while the remote operator kept the camera trained on a character’s feet and then performed the hard tilt-up to the actor’s face from his remote control. “After they nailed the shot on take one, I just stood there with a dumb look on my face. ‘Uh...I guess we should do it again, right?’ I asked. So we did another take and they nailed it again. I looked at my watch and realized that at this rate, we were far ahead of schedule which gave me the opportunity to further finesse the shot, and the luxury to create half a dozen shots instead of just one or two – and in a very rare occurrence for many of my shoots – we finished ahead of schedule,” Buono says.
    Freefly was also recently invited to demonstrate the MōVI rig at an American Society of Cinematographers event, where Director of Photography host Kees Van Oostrum, ASC simply stated, “MōVI is the future”.
    The new MōVI M10 will start shipping on August 15th, 2013 on a first-come-first-served basis to customers who have pre-ordered units. New customers can visit www.freeflysystems.com for more information and place their MōVI M10 preorders now at www.movirig.com (and in the near future via select dealers worldwide).

Freefly Systems Also Introduces New Smaller MōVI M5 Rig
    Building on its gyro-stabilized MōVI M10 camera rig, Freefly Systems also announces a new smaller, lighter, lower-priced MōVI M5, which will begin shipping in the fourth quarter of 2013 for $4,995. The MōVI M5 camera stabilizer is sized to accommodate most DSLR sized cameras like the Canon 5D, Panasonic GH2/3, Nikon D800, and Sony A99.
    The MōVI M5 draws on the advanced stabilization technology developed for the MōVI M10 allowing for amazingly smooth footage in even the most demanding situations. The compact form factor and lightweight nature of the MōVI M5 allows camera movement that would be impossible in the past. With the release of the MōVI M5, Freefly aims to bring big budget camera moves to a wider range of productions. To find out more and place pre-orders, visit www.freeflysystems.com and www.movirig.com.
    MōVI Camera Comparison Chart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] MōVI Camera Comparison Chart

[​IMG]
    Any filmmaker will tell you that gravity is all too often a cruel reminder of how hard taking flight can be. Moving a camera in a steady path is one of the biggest challenges faced. That is until you hold the handheld "MōVI" device in your hands and run, or drive, or fly only to see your clumsiness and bumps turned into a near perfect trajectory – thanks to insanely fascinating camera stabilization technology from Freefly Systems . The "MōVI" 10 is game changer with its digital 3-axis gyro-stabilized handheld camera gimbal system. The completely silent device weighs under 3.5 pounds (1.58 Kgs) bare and can be operated solo, or with the help of a second "gimbal" operator with a joystick to pull off some incredible moves. This device isn’t the end of the sticks, Steadicam, slider, dolly or jib to be sure… but it sure will make you think twice about using those tools on many of your shots when you find out how quickly this device allows you to execute a similar shot but in a fraction of the time. It can literally take longer to explain a shot, than it would to execute a perfect shot with the MōVI. Heck you’ll even think twice about every using a tripod for a quick pan or tilt shot – when you realize you can do that with a "push" or a circular forward movement left (a curved dolly track…) Except you don’t need to lay track down.
    The danger of this device is that you’re going to want to shoot Scorsese’s famous Copacabana shot from Goodfellas every time you pick this unit up. You’ll do well to remember that short takes and editing are the key to a nice flow in almost any piece. Yet that amazing shot you’ve dreamed of accomplishing is closer to becoming a reality than it has before. Obviously in this short my effort was to string as many long shots together as possible to show off the device – and that can be a challenge as a director.

That being said the beauty of this device is how quickly you can also make more simple shots. A push or slide is done in seconds and near perfectly. You can add a tilt or pan to that too to make it even fancier if you’d like with little effort. And the speed at which you can work is hard for many producers (including a friend and long time producer I worked with on a commercial this week… until he sees the results and how quickly you can get them.) Then you run down stairs, walk across a busy intersection, or ride in a vehicle and your head will certainly spin…
    It’s unbelievably liberating.

Another big factor: It will be affordable – the initial mid-level (in terms of weight support) MōVI M10 will sell for approx $15K and is already under production. The second, smaller version, the M5 that will be on sale at some point in the near future (once the production capacity is in full swing) will be sold for a price point under $7,500. If you consider how much we spend on handheld rigs, sliders, jibs (let alone Glidecams/Steadicams etc.) – the price of this device quickly becomes a no-brainer… Another huge factor: it takes quite a bit of time to set up a JIB, let alone weights, crew and skill to operate. The learning curve on this unit is very very fast.

The MoVI can travel in a thin suitcase as carry luggage and weights under 4 pounds… A steadicam is an awesome tool but takes years to master. I was able to operate this device within minutes… I will admit to having experience in operating Cineflex systems in Helicopters and Russian Arms on fast moving vehicles. And I can say that the way the joystick on the two person configuration operates is nearly identical. And the point is that the MōVI M10 is cheaper to buy with extra bells and whistles than it is to RENT a Cineflex for one day… keep that in mind and why that leads me to consider this technology to merit the dreaded and overused term: Game Changer.

The first unit that is being released – the M10 – supports a camera up 10 pounds with accessories. That equates to a basic Epic and prime lens or HD-DSLR with a lot of accessories. We’ve been using the Epic and the Canon primes and Zeiss CP.2 lenses all week on a commercial without a hitch. A future version the M20 is slated to support an Alexa or Epic package w/ zoom, price and date TBD. The guys behind this work with Epics and Alexas on a regular basis and are cinema guys. Tabb Firchau & Hugh Bell have worked on several productions with me (JOB, Mobius) and Hugh is one of the best steadicam operators I’ve worked with in the industry. The point is that these are passionate cinema people who are going to cater to what we need as filmmakers.

Written by Vincent Laforet.

10. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi there,
    Great news that he movi is due for release soon, but I wondered if it has been tested with the sony f5 or mainly the f55 as most productions I know in the uk are moving away from the red epic to using these cameras, especially with the fps update due for release later this year. But all the productions I am talking to about the movi want to know if it will take this camera, and as I'm down on the waiting list, it's pretty important for me,
    Thanks

Mark

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Weight wise you should be fine. You might need longer side arms depending on the length that is in the final configuration of the M10 due to the length of the Sony. But you will need to check the weight setup just to be sure. I got conflicting answers at the Sony booth at NAB on body weight for the F55.

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

A video demo from Alex Buono from his "The Art of the Visual Storytelling Tour"

13. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

Can anyone identify the remote focus (I assume) device used at 3:16 and 3:24? Thanks

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I think it is the Red Rock microRemote.

John Butkus likes this.
  15. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

It was the Red Rock Micro System, i got to play with it a few weeks back. The Fingerwheel controller is very nice for a one man operation.