/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI compatible cameras

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Graham Hay, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Graham Hay

Graham Hay New Member

I have paid my deposit for a MōVI MR, in order to not be even further down the queue, but I have questions that I cannot get answered from available information concerning compatible cameras. The camera tray dimensions are stated as 200W x 140L x 200H. 140mm is quite short for the length and it would appear that it is aimed primarily, if not specifically, at the RED Epic and FS100.

But what about 'standard' fixed lens HVX200 type cameras? There is sufficient width but will there be sufficient front to back space to balance them?

And what about the dimensions of the MōVI 5? Yes, we know the weight limit of 5lbs, but what about the dimensions? Will the camera tray be smaller still or will it just have less powerful motors?

2. Leopoldo Tamargo

I may have missed it but is there an actual list of popular or preferred cameras for the Movi MR besides the Red Epic?

I recall reading "Any Camera" somewhere but I'm sure there are some that would work in terms of weight, capabilities and performance, better tan others?

Even still I very much am looking forward to mine. I think I ordered it the day I got back from NAB.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

What cameras have you tested on the MōVI M10 and MōVI MR?
    We have tested the RED EPIC, RED Scarlet, Canon C500, Canon C300, Panasonic GH3, Black Magic Cinema Camera, Canon 1DC, Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 5D Mark III, and Sony FS100.

Tristan Guercovich likes this.
  4. Leopoldo Tamargo

Thank you very much. That's really helpful.

Follow up question, any change in dates other than 3rd quarter for delivery?

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

None that I have heard of.

6. Graham Hay

Graham Hay New Member

Hmm, so it looks like the conventional HVX200 type camcorders are not catered for. As I suspected, they are too long. All the cameras on that list are fairly short (lens to rear dimension). Note that only the Sony FS100 is listed, not the longer FS700. Presumably, although the FS700 could be physically mounted, its bulky length would be impossible to balance.

This actually makes the MōVI rather limiting because the RED's and the Canon CXXX are out of most normal folks' range to own, the other Canons are not particularly great and the FS100 ain't that wonderful either. The GH2 video is better than all of the latter. That leaves the GH3 and is there any point in laying out for a 10lb gimbal to carry a 1.5lb camera.

The conclusion then is that this gimbal is really for RED's and not much else. Not that this is all bad. Everybody seems to want their stuff shot on a RED these days, but if you don't get the call to fly RED's regularly it is questionable how useful this gimbal is going to be.

I am a little dejected at this realisation.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Here's QC flying the FS700. Doesn't show the mount but you could email them.
    By changing the length of the tubes you should be able to balance just about anything that is at or under the weight limits. You just need to get it balanced to the center point of the gimbal.

8. Graham Hay

Graham Hay New Member

My plan for the MōVI is to replace an existing 'servos & belts' helicopter mount and although being RED capable is great the gimbal needs to be a little more versatile with regard to camera options.

Hopefully there will be some really detailed information and photos or illustrations at some point before slap-yer-money-down-crunch-time.

EDIT: Oooo, I don't like the video player with no transport controls or progress bar. If the video does not load or has to stop for buffering you cannot pause it or do anything.

I see the QC boys stepped just outside the office again for the FS700 test. Shame they couldn't have found some running horses or something instead of what just looks like cars and trucks driving slowly.

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The limit on the size of the camera dimensions is really only restricted by the carbon tube framework. If the tubes are lengthened, you can hold longer camera lengths, widths, etc. as long as your not going over the 10lb weight for the M10. At some point however, you would have a hard time operating while hand held.

For the FS700 specifically, Jeff posted a photo of the camera mounted on a CS 3 axis here
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/sony-fs700.174/

10. Graham Hay

Graham Hay New Member

Phew! I was beginning to panic back there. Appreciate that link, thanks.