/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lower back injury

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

I would like to open a discussion on the fact that all of this hand operated Super Gimbals will have a negative effect on some operators over time to their lower back, the fact that the Gimbal is operated away from the operator own body Center of Gravity CG makes me to predict that this will be an issue to deal with.
    what do you guys think

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Amazing that you've mentioned this. Just yesterday I was testing our handheld rig and my lady friend says to me "wow that looks heavy" and I said over a very short period of time it can be very strenuous on the arms, back and shoulders.

Yes, this can be an issue, not just lower back but you need a fair amount of shoulder, arm and upper body strength to haul around a full RED rig with followF, monitor, batteries etc...that's 15lbs or more of gear being held out away from your body using only arm, shoulder and lower back.

These fullsized HH rigs have not been out in the wild yet and I predict a fair amount of talk about this topic. Time will tell.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Check out the EasyRig. The MoVI was hooked uo to one at NAB, and also a small Steadicam. Might be a solution for long holding times.

4. Jose Luis Ocejo

Let me give you a perspective example, I have been a Steadicam operator for 15 years yesterday I had a Steadicam job for the travel channel the camera was a Sony EX3 + wireless FF + video transmitter+ stock zoom + Matebox filters etc, I had to add a dead weight, block of 1 inch aluminum to reach the minimum that the arm require to function properly still for a Pro Steadicam this was very light set up
    the issue was that the director did a lot of shots all day long POV;s ,interviews, walk and talk, even shots that could have been on a tripod but it was faster to bring the all ready balance and ready steadicam all this is ok but after a wile this "light weight setup became to "my lower back" heavier and heavier considering that I was using a professional steadicam vest and arm it makes me wonder how are some going to deal with a similar director shooting situation with a rig that is not been help by a body vest and a mechanical arm, specially with the eagerness to use a Red Epic with all of the goodies added to it
    Guys, don't get me wrong I am not nagging about the Super Gimbals they are an incredibly cool tool with so many uses, I just want to bring this possible down side to the discussion

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

I agree a EasyRig could be a helper in some situations

6. Sean Haverstock

Oh yeah. It's a serious workout for the gimbal pilot. I've never used the easyrig but it seems like it would limit alot of the potential advantages of operating a handheld gimbal. Short handheld jib shots starting from the ground, for example. Plus, the handheld will probably be used running quite often. I see the handheld as a run and gun solution to grabbing shots in spots that aren't easily obtained. The gimbal pilot will have to be athletic for sure. Can't wait to ski with mine!

7. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Ya this is one of the big pitfalls with the Movi and others. Specially with Reds all trimmed out as the weight is pretty incredible and after a couple of hours of shooting your back is killing. I suspect the two person camera operator team will consist of a steroid monkey and the operator. I would suggest start hanging out at Golds Gym/Muscle beach to pick your team member before the Movi arrives.:D