/dist/images/branding/favicon

little panning while tilting

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by nicolas sedlatchek, Feb 25, 2015.

1. nicolas sedlatchek

nicolas sedlatchek New Member

Hi guys,

I have some issue with the Movi M5 and the DX7s and I need your help.
    When I tilt the camera up or down the Movi is also slightly panning respectively (from behind) to the right and to the left. The amount of panning is not much, something like 5 degrees, but it's annoying, mostly because I don't understand why...

I restore the factory cal. I check the servo setup on the DX7s to see if there is a mix between aileron and elevator but nothing.

Any idea?

Thanks

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Nicolas i would double check your balance of your gimbal. try it again

3. nicolas sedlatchek

Hi Jason

I double check the balance as you asked. The pan axis was not balanced correctly, so I moved the battery to the the left of the electronic and now it's well balanced. Every axis is perfectly balanced, but my problem is stil here! I'm going crazy...

4. nicolas sedlatchek

In fact I realised that it's even worth.
    I recalibrate everything, I restore factory cal, make the autotune, switch of, switch on in majestic mode and the result is a very subtule and continuous panning.

I upload a video on my dropbox where you can see the problem. the video is accelerate so you can the the movement:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgtllyblk8ra02n/movi m5_pan problem.MOV?dl=0

Is there a problem with one of the sensors?!

Thanks in advance for your feedback and opinion

5. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi Nicolas,

check your pan trim, it should be in the absolute center. Check the remote or rsdio chart the pan value should be very close to 1500 mikroseconds.

If the value differs from that, try to put the pan axis deadband higher in the gui. In remote operator menue it is called PAN joystick window.

Put that higher until the drift stops.

Best Wolf

6. nicolas sedlatchek

thanks for your answer Wolf

The thing is that it happens in majestic mode also, without any remote control...

7. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

I've been having this same problem for months. Originally reached out to freefly and was given the same response about it being a balancing issue. Have tried countless times to reset, rebalance, etc. just took delivery of the m15 and Movi controller. Still does it with Movi controller. Haven't unboxed m15 yet. Going to try that next. Been having a difficult time getting my m5 to give me the stability it use too. At this point I'm going to request to send it in for repair cause out of options to try on my end.

8. Pete Maughan

Pete Maughan Member

Have you tried calibrating the sticks on the DX7? look in the monitor and if it isn't going 100 to 100 might be worth calibrating.

9. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

I don't have a dx7. Originally was using a Futaba 10c. Now using the Movi controller. Does it with both.

10. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

I also tried adjusting the deadband as recommended took it to 100 helped a little but still pans when I tilt.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

When you tilt, do you find by gentle left/right motion of the MōVI Controller's stick you can reverse the direction of the pan from panning left to panning right? The stick is very sensitive, so even with the Pan window at 90, if you're not careful you can indeed induce some panning.

Also, if you go into Chart, Radio, you can see the MōVI Controllers Pitch (Tilt) and Yaw (Pan) signals....can you tilt the camera without the Yaw value changing?

You can reduce the effect of the Panning by cranking the Pan rate know counter clockwise.

Andy.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I just realized....the Pan Window is just for Majestic.....it doesn't seem to have any effect when using the MōVI Controller.

Andy.

13. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

I can't tilt without it panning. It's without a question like it's bleeding into the pan channel. Also the faster I tilt, the more it pans.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Understood. I'm sitting in front of my M5 with the MoVI Controller and experimenting to try and figure out what the problem you are having might be...

So am I correct that while you tilt you cannot control which way it pans by gentle left/right pressure on the MoVI controller's joystick?

Andy

15. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Appreciate the help! Yes I can control which way it pans by gentle input. What's happening is.... If I tilt down, it very slowly pans right, the faster I tilt down, the faster it pans right. If I tilt up, it pans left, the faster I tilt up, the faster it pans left. It did this with my Futaba radio, and now does this with my brand new Movi controller. Also want to make it clear... I've been balancing heads for 15+ years. Own a 32' jimmy jib, 24' Kessler crane, own a steadicam pilot, and a couple old glidecams. I have been flying RC for over 25+ years. I know there's tons of people who are new to this, but I do know what I'm doing. Please don't take that the wrong way, I really appreciate the help in case I am missing something, but have seen 3 other post with this same issue. I really think something's wrong with my m5 and maybe others as well? I'll have my m15 hooked up shortly. Already guessing I won't see the same result. Again thanks for the help anything anyone can offer is always appreciated.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the info on your background, Chris -- I understand! (I've been a systems programmer for 50 years and it's sometimes hard to communicate one's experience without sounding arrogant, so rest assured I'm not offended.)

Two more things to try:

1. On the MoVI controller, if you rotate the Pan Speed knob fully counterclockwise, does tilting still cause panning?

2. On the MoVI Controller, if you go to the Tx Monitor screen you can see the outputs for the Pan and Tilt channels as "left/right" bars. Do you find that even being very careful to only move the joystick fore/aft, you see movement on the Pan indicator?

If the answer is "yes" to either of the above, then you definitely need to email to support@freeflysystems.com to open up a support ticket (I'm only a volunteer moderator, I'm afraid, so I cannot take further action--other than to think of other things to try!)

Andy.

17. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

With the pan knob fully counterclockwise, if I tilt, it still pans, just a little slower. Also just realized it, but if I roll, it causes it to pan also. When tilting and looking at the tx mon. I see the numbers move ever so slightly, just .1 etc. (don't think the steadiest of hand could avoid that.). The fact that when I roll it causes it to pan, and that being on a separate knob means something's wrong for sure, right?

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah. It does sound like something is wrong (note the consultant's trick of telling you what you already know! Subtle, isn't it?).
    With the pan speed full counterclockwise, I cannot pan with the joystick at all.

I'm afraid it is the email to support@freeflysystems.com then. Copy and paste the link to this thread to save yourself some time.

Sorry I could not be of more help.
    Andy.

19. Chris Fanning

Chris Fanning Member

Thanks for the help!

20. nicolas sedlatchek

Hi Chris,

Did you find a solution for your M5?
    I am still struggling with mine, very disapointed :(

to make a short resume:
    I don't have the same background as you Chris but My gimbal is perfectly balanced.
    I use the M5 in handeld and airborne mode, with tilt mode one smoth lock or majestic.
    When I tilt itup or down with my futaba transmitter the movi pan and roll a bit.
    When I have it handeld and I make some roll mouvement, the movi pans a bit.

PLEASE HELP

Nicolas