/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lipo questions

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Dominik Bauch, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Dominik Bauch

Dominik Bauch New Member

Probably been covered many times but new Movi user

One thing that scares me about the Movi are the Lipo batteries:

- If they discharge powering the Movi are they toast?
    - Do you really have to watch them charge?
    - Is the short life an issue? Having to replace a battery after 4 months would be a bummer
    - Can I use a safely use a freefly lipo to power red epic dragon + accessories without accidentally frying them?
    - Do you all use an in-line votage alarm to warm of low voltage? Is it necessary?
    - Can you safely fly with 4 or 5 of these?

Thanks, really appreciate any help on these.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Dominik,

You should be a bit frightened by the Lipos, but it will encourage you to handle them carefully.

To answer some of your questions:

>- If they discharge powering the Movi are they toast?
    The Movi is supposed to shut down before it drains the battery too far. Other devices, like cameras and follow focus receivers, don't know they're on Lipo power, so that can be a danger of over-draining.

>- Is the short life an issue? Having to replace a battery after 4 months would be a bummer
    I have 7 Freefly Lipos that have now lasted about 11 months or so. One died several months ago, not sure why, but I think one of the balance leads may have broken loose inside the battery. I consider them an expendable item that will have to periodically be replaced, and I carry plenty of spares. They're not *that* expensive compared to other batteries.

>- Can I use a safely use a freefly lipo to power red epic dragon + accessories without accidentally frying them?
    Not my area of expertise -- I use V-mount batts and the Freefly battery plate for the Epic. But I know other aerial guys have powered Epics on Lipo's.

>- Do you all use an in-line votage alarm to warm of low voltage? Is it necessary?
    Yes, I use one, but not for the Movi -- the 3 lights on the back of the Movi are a battery indicator. When powering accessories, I use a little Lipo checker\alarm. My Bartech Focus receiver doesn't pull much power, so it's not a huge worry. My video transmitter might pull a good bit more, but it's powered off Sony batteries or the V-mount batteries, usually.

>Can you safely fly with 4 or 5 of these?
    If you mean on an airline, yes, but carry-on only. Not in checked bagage, and you could get a Lipo-Safe bag. They're under the TSA limit of 100wH. Some of the bigger Alta batteries are too big, but the standard 4S Freefly batteries are OK.

Best,
    -Graham

3. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Hi Dominik. You won't be able to run the Dragon on the Freefly batteries as they have a low C rating (5C), which means they have a low discharge rate. The voltage sag created by running a Dragon on the Freefly batts would make them drop to almost empty immediately. If you get another brand of lipo battery with a higher C rating you'll be fine. Maybe 25-35C. I use these ones to power Dragons/Weapons/Alexa mini's all the time. https://www.dronesdirect.co.uk/p/b-...lbA-6YZR4TMwAFFhFcO9L-AcXja5nww20RRoCITLw_wcB

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

To amplify what Graham said, if you *ever* over-discharge any LiPo such that the individual cell voltage drops below 3.0 volts, then the odds are you have just create a paperweight. It's in the nature of the lithium polymer battery chemistry. All vendors are similarly affected.

Not literally -- you just have to be prepared that, when charging, one of them might spontaneously catch fire. Act accordingly and take the necessary precautions.

It more depends on what you did to shorten the life of the battery:
    Did you keep it fully charged for more than say, 24 hours (or thereabouts)?
    Did you over discharge it?

Yes, but only if you do not over discharge the LiPo. The battery does not know what it is powering.

Yes. Always. All the time.
    Did I say always?
    If you over discharge a LiPo it is deado. An ex-Lipo. Its joined the choir eternal. It's gone to meet it's maker, etc. etc.

Yes. Search for FAA lithium battery regulations.
    I would prefer to travel with them at storage voltage and with electrician's tape over the connectors so that they cannot possible short out.

Hope that did indeed help.
    Andy