/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lipo batteries in the field

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Dave King, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I have a few questions for you guys.
    1. When you go on a full days shoot how many batteries are you realistically taking with you?
    2. When you change batteries how close to attention are you paying for the placement of the batteries on the tray for CG? I noticed that the QC 6200 batteries (I run two of them) move the CG quite a bit even when they move 1/8. I was going to combat this by putting sticky tape on the battery tray exactly where I need them and not even a 1/32 extra of tape. I also thought about purchasing extra battery plates, balancing the copter before I go out and then just swapping plates.
    3. How many batteries are you taking with you when you need to shoot 60 minutes or more of video? IF you are taking 6-8 with you and you need to charge in the field how are you doing so? I know you can hook up the battery charger to deep cycle battery, are you guys doing that?

Thanks for any input in advance.

2. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hi Dave. I mostly shoot aerial still photos, but if I have to do several properties in a day I take between 6 and 12 batteries (I have 6 QC 8000s and 6 QC 6200s). In general I always fly the 8000s if I can and I charge them in the field if necessary. I carry a deep cycle battery and just put the alligator clips onto the banana connectors of the Hyperion chargers and clip them onto the battery. Nothing more complicated than that and start charging. I recently had someone ask me how many batteries I can charge from the deep cycle battery and I think we determined 8 or more (batteries come in many sizes so you have to see how much reserve capacity the battery has). I have no idea how much overhead the charger burns while charging but I suspect not too much.

I don't have much to add to the CG issue. I currently fly one battery at a time and keep it centered on the tray as much as visually possible and have not had any trouble that I can think of. With two I am sure it has more of an impact.

I drag around this battery:
    Interstate 27M XHD. It has a reserve capacity of 180 minutes at 25 amps. Since I only charge my 8000s at 4 amps, even if I was using both of my chargers and doing 4 batteries at a time I think I could get 8 charges or more in the field. If you had a bigger need they make batteries twice that size. When I come home I throw it on a 2 amp slow charge and it is ready again for the next time I need it.

Michael

3. Dave King

thanks for the input its appreciated.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael if you ever get to the replacement time on the battery you might want to look for a deep cycle battery rather than a cranking battery. My understanding of the difference is that a cranking battery means just that, something to give short boost of energy to start a motor. Whereas a deep cycle is for long, drawn out discharges, like powering an electric trolling motor. That would be more like our charging cycles.

5. Dave King

I raced cars for 20 years (here's a quick video of my last race car I had before my wife got pregnant)
    and yes deep cycle batteries are made to charge and discharge (just like a lipo battery) hundreds of times. A regular car battery is made to run with a voltage regulator to keep the voltage charging while its running but its not made to be drained below its operating voltage like a deep cycle is.

6. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Gary, do you use a deep cycle battery when charging in the field? If so, which one do you have or recommend?

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Kristian I haven't had the need. But I also have a Honda generator that I will probably use. But I do have 12V lighting setup that I use for my art shows. Bought a deep cycle at Walmart. Largest one they have. Nice warranty.

8. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Gary,

Thanks for the tip. When I went to the Interstate dealer these were presented as dual purpose batteries (I initially bought them for a boat where 2 of them were in parallel for electronics - radar - sounder, etc). Enough power to start up the engines, but the same reserve capacity of a similiar size deep cycle only battery. I'm sure there are some better choices for use in the field and when these wear out I will definitely check out the new stuff!

Having a battery out in the field sure makes for convenient charging when you need it...

Thanks...
    Michael

9. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Thanks Gary!

10. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Would a portable car inverter work?

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Kristian, by inverter you mean to convert to household power? Most chargers run on 12V so why not just hook it up to the car battery?

12. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Hehe. I'd def use the car battery if my situation didn't require me to be constantly on the move to different locations.

13. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I happened to have a 200w inverter for the car and tested it out. I was able to charge my lipo at no more than 3.5. Anything higher would shut to inverter down.

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

You would probably needs something at least 1000W.

15. Dave King

Kristen
    A normal car battery is not meant to discharge like that with the car not running. YOu would need your car running so the alternator can keep it running. Most reliable way is to get a deep cycle battery and then you can charge it when you come from the field. Deep cycle batteries can be purchased at Advanced auto and Napa and are very easy to obtain.