/dist/images/branding/favicon

Lipo and Black Magic

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Ryan McMaster, May 5, 2014.

1. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

So, I love our BM4k, Most of you know why=)

One down side is it shoots about 30 minutes due to a small internal battery.

Using reds in the past we used to use LIpo's for flying, can I do the same with my 4k? I have 5-7 3200mha 4s that should fit the bill. My thoughts were as follows:

Wire a plug up that fits the 4k (it can take 12-30v), add a JST to the end of it. Wire all the bats up JST. Charge... fly... profit!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The short answer is, if the camera take 12-30v, and those Lipo's supply between 12-30v (which they do), then you can use them. They can supply far more instantaneous current than the BM4K would ever need, therefore the only question is for how long each LiPo would run the BM4K -- and that is a question of the current draw x time.

What does the BM4K require in terms of current at, say, 15 volts, Ryan? Do you happen to know?

Andy

3. Ryan McMaster

Andy,

The charger is 12v @ 2a and it charges in about an hour from 10% to full.

Here are the spec's on the Vmount we use for ground based stuff. I would hazard the 4s 3200's I have should be more then sufficient. This gives us about 4 hours, a 3200 should be about 2 hours.
    Mount Type V-mount
    1/4"-20 screw on included quick release plate
    3x 1/4"-20 female mounting holes (one on the back and two on the sides)
    Capacity 70 Wh, 4.8 Ah
    Voltage 14.8 V
    Dimensions 6.25 x 1.8 x 3.3" (16 x 4.5 x 8.4 cm)
    Weight 1.4 lb (.63 kg)

4. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I agree, the camera is awesome for aerials. The global shutter and fine detail makes it perfect for this application. The weight, while it turned out to be a plus in your case because it's built so tough, is not so great. I wish it was 2 lbs lighter.

I cut the charger cable on mine and put a deans connector in between. Male on the camera side, female on the charger side. That way I can use it to plug in to the wall or use any number of old lipo's that are not good for flying but work fine to charge it or run it.
    BTW, the internal battery is a 2s 3800 mAh lipo.

If you're feeling brave, you can peel off the front rubber piece, get the right size torx driver to fit the 4 buried screws that hold the screen on, and take out the internal battery which is attached to the screen assembly. This will save weight, which quickly becomes dead weight if you're shooting all day. You could probably power the camera and gimbal from the movi battery. They wouldn't last but a few flights, but it might increase your flight time with the reduced weight, and it's no big deal to switch movi batteries.

Ryan McMaster likes this.
  5. Ryan McMaster

Not a bad idea Tim! I would love to open the camera up, but after the fall I just want to keep it they way it is.

Just tested my 3s and 4s batts. 1200 MAh lasts about 15 minutes (which is perfect). The 3200's I want to use give me about 1.5 hours.

6. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

We happily use a MoVI battery to power the BM4K, Terradek Bolt 2000, RTMotion FF and Iris ... it works pretty well, and the Bolt acts as the low voltage warning, keeping it all self contained on the tilt tray.