/dist/images/branding/favicon

Limitations of Horizontal and Vertical distances for use in France/Europe.

Discussion in 'ALTA FAQ' started by Nico Turini, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Nico Turini

Nico Turini New Member

Hi Andy,

As in France we need to respect some points to be in accordance with our local laws while flying drones as "Pros", please could you tell me if you plan to implement in the Synapse software:
    - Horizontal distance limitation (from the point of take-of)
    - Vertical height limitation
    - "Return Home" options : does it works only when we "activate" a function/button on the TX, what about if the link is broken between TX/RX?

In the iOS software I can only see "Safe Height" option and I don't know what it does.

Thanks.
    Nico

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Salut Nico, ça va?

I'm only a volunteer moderator, so your questions -- which are very valid ones given France's sUAV laws -- are best asked directly of Freefly. I would send an email to them at support@freeflysystems.com.

I think it's important that you stress that French Laws forbid flying aircraft without these limitations built into the flight controller -- which is my understanding of the situation.

I suspect the third question you ask is something that Steve Maller may be able to confirm -- certainly you can manually enable Return Home. Steve: Have you verified that Return Home is automatically enabled in a "Lost Link" situation?

Regards
    Andy

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nico - page numbers in the Alta RevB manual in (_ ).

Distance - Range on the Dynamics -> Position page of the config app (63)
    Height - Max Ceiling on Dynamic -> Max Ceiling (62)

For height and distance to work the mode must be in Height or Position. No restrictions on Manual mode.

Return Home - automatically engages with loss of signal.
    Safe Height - setup to tell the Alta the minimum height to come home. (66)

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Nico: Do the French authorities just want the aircraft to have a user-settable option for distance and height? My recall was that it had to be manufacturer-settable and not alterable by the user.

Andy

5. Nico Turini

Nico Turini New Member

Hello Andy ! Everything is fine here :)
    The French authorities just want to have a user-settable option. Sometimes we need to limit especialy the height, with a shorter limit than the law permits (for a special case near airports or other things...). Sometimes we are using the aircraft out of France, so the limits are not the same. So the operator need to configure the aircraft himself.
    I've red the complete manual of the ALTA, and for me all features are here, very nice.

6. Nico Turini

Nico Turini New Member

Thank you for answers Gary. I've seen in the Alta manual that in the case we are using the Alta in "Manual mode" we could have an indication of passing limits with Led signals, and this is a very nice option for me. I have not practiced yet the Alta, and I don't know if the stiffness of the "Position Mode" is always good in terms of flight fluidity... Perhaps that sometimes the "Manual Mode" will be a better choice (extreme windy/gusty days for example).

Nico.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Salut Nico:
    Ok. That's good. I had thought that the limits had to be set by the manufacturer...I'm glad I'm wrong!

Andy.